Noob Question About Wi Fi

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Bad06SS, May 1, 2007.

1. Bad06SS

Bad06SS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. I'm sorry for the dumb question, and I DID search, but I'm still kind of new to some of this stuff. What is wi-fi? I already have a router, does this mean that the PS3 can connect without having to plug an ethernet cable or device in? With the Elite, I have a wireless network adapter plugged in to get online. I had been using this same netword adaptor on the PS3 untill I started reading about wi-fi. Thanks for any help.:lease:

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

well - wi-fi is a wireless network connection. If the PS3 has wi-fi, and obviously if your router has wi-fi, then you should be able to connect your PS3 to your router just by setting up the access data and password, as I'm sure you have encrypted your network.

Somewhere on the PS3 there should be a screen where you can search for wireless networks, when it finds yours you should be able to connect to it and then enter your password or encryption key depending on whatever security you have selected on your router.

There should be no need for any other adapter to go online with your PS3.

Good luck,

Simon

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Assuming your PS3 is the 60GB version and not the 20GB then it should have built in wireless. In other words unlike the 360 it does not need an optional external wireless adapter. I presume you have a wireless router. In which case you can just go into the PS3 network settings and setup the wireless option. Obviously if you have the 20GB PS3 then you will need an external wireless adapter.

4. Bad06SS

Bad06SS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I do have the 60gb version. Thank you for helping me and not bashing.:thumbsup: I'll see if it works tonight. :)