Noob question about soundbars and audio sync.

colmac2000

Novice Member
Hi,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I have searched and haven't found it.

I hope someone here can help me out - I'm a newbie to all this stuff.

I just bought this Panasonic Smart TV:

Buy PANASONIC VIERA TX-L42ET60B Smart 3D 42" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

...but the sound is pretty poor so I bought this soundbar:

Buy Panasonic HTB65 90W Soundbar with Built-in Subwoofer at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sound bars.

I was trying to find the slightly better model with HDMI but is seems to be sold out everywhere. Anyway, the sound out of this soundbar is good but it just ever so slightly out of sync with the picture. It doesn't have HDMI so it is connected via the digital optical output.

I searched through the eHelp on the TV and it talks about a "SPDIF Delay" setting in the "Advanced Sound" settings. It also states this is "Ireland only" (!?). Anyway, the sound settings on the TV have no advanced section and there is no mention of SPDIF delay or anything similar in any of the sections I can find (in general the sound settings seem a bit basic...no mention of things like Nicam etc).

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or am I stuck with it?

I'm really not after a fantastic home cinema setup - I just want the sound on the TV to be a bit better. So I don't want to spend a fortune but the sync thing is really annoying once you notice it.

Anyway - any help would be gratefully received!

Ta.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the audio is ‘ahead’ of the video you would normally add a delay in your AV Amp or Soundbar.

A Soundbar without an audio delay function is a recipe for out of sync audio and a stupid design decision/oversight in today’s market.

If on the other hand the sound is leaving the TV ‘in Sync’ with the picture and it’s the Soundbar adding a delay you are stuffed.

Try changing which audio mode you are using in the Soundbar.

Joe

colmac2000

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. Neither my tv nor my soundbar seem to have any options for delaying the audio. The tv manual talks about SPDIF delay but there is no option mentioning this in any of the actual menus!

If I had a soundbar with HDMI and ARC would I get sound from the soundbar in sync with the TV audio? Or is there always a slight delay?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming both the TV and Soundbar are ARC enabled anything being fed to the Soundbar ought to be in sync.

You would ideally want the ability to adjust the Soundbar delay as sometimes a broadcast may be slightly out plus you may have Sources which plug directly to the Soundbar.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom