noob question about keyless entry & ignition

That black square on the handle is a button, isn't it?
I've never come across a keyless car that unlocked and locked simply by approaching or walking away from the car.
I'm not saying they don't exist, just never come across one.
Our cars it's:

Captur - unlock car by pressing button on door handle / lock car by simply walking away
Juke - unlock and lock car by pressing button on door handle

Our Hyundai IX35 also followed the same procedure as the Juke.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The black bit is a sensor for locking the car on fords. They unlock by you simply pulling on the door handle as there's a sensor built in, to lock you press your finger against the black part.
It works the same as BMW's comfort access.

The black bit is a sensor for locking the car on fords. They unlock by you simply pulling on the door handle as there's a sensor built in, to lock you press your finger against the black part.

Cool, so you are pressing a button 'of sorts' to lock it.

LOL I wish I'd realised that in my 3 years of ownership, what a muppet

The keyless entry system use an un-powered emitter not unlike contactless payment systems. Multiple transceivers are built into the car, so it knows where the key fob is relative to the car. The RF field generated when you activate the car system powers the keyfob, so even if the battery goes flat, the fob will still work as keyless, it just won't work to manually unlock the car or boot.

They are actually quite hard to hack - although nothing is impossible! I doubt your average car thief would bother unless it was quite an expensive car - or they were stealing cars on an industrial level.

I had a Lexus GS450h with keyless entry, and I seem to remember I also had a Fiesta Titanium X for a week or so. Neither was a problem in any way. The Lexus knew exactly where the key was. If you put the key in the boot and closed it, the boot lid would pop back up, because it knew the key was in the boot.

When I took the bins out at night, the puddle lights on the doors would light up as I passed by with the key in my pocket. So it obviously hadn't detected the key when I was in the house.

Also, even though you can open the door keylessly, you couldn't then start the car unless it detected the key was inside the car. If the car was stationary, but you'd pressed start, (there'd be no engine running in a hybrid), and you then got out, there'd be all kinds of bells and reminders sounding because it immediately detected the key had moved outside the car.

I think all manufacturers have got the system working really well and securely. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom