Noob Q: can I position speakers on their sides?

visioneer

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm having a few problems trying to position front L&R and Centre speakers so that they 'look right' underneath my LCD.

Checking out the dimensions of the Q Acoustic 1010's & centre, and also the Mordaunt SHort 302's and 304, I notice that the width of the L&R speakers is the same as the height of the centre speaker. This leads me to wonder if it's ok to put the L&R speakers on their sides so that all of the speakers would appear to be the same height, in a nice line under the lcd (hope this is making sense to somebody!!:rolleyes: )

So, can they be put on their sides or will it affect the speakers and/or the sound at all? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Yes the sound will be affected especially the off axis performance. The speakers should be mounted as intended. The only expectation to this would be speakers such as Kef type devices where the tweeter is inside the mid range, these will be affected far less due to the driver configuration and should be OK but not ideal.

agreed the off axis performance would be killed, the top end would be cut off alot lower even alittle off axis.

Thanks for the replies. I don't understand what you both mean by the off-axis performance. Can you explain?

Are we talking about a BIG difference is performance or is this only going to be noticeable to a true audiophile (which I'm not :D ).

on axis is directly in front of the speaker, off axis is at an angle, if there is more then one person watching not everyone can be on axis so off axis performance is important.

Every speaker has an on axis and off axis response mostly measured at 0 degrees to 30 degrees.

On axis you will hear all the way upto what the speaker is capable of, say 20khz but the more off axis you go the less u hear, the frequency gets cut off alot lower say 10khz.

Stand behind your speaker or in another room and u will hear the treble has lost all it's sparkle because the high frequencys are very directional unlike bass.

So by putting the speaker on it's side you are effecting the off axis response alot.

Thanks, understand it now. Sticking to the aesthetics point of my original question, how about using say 3 centre speakers in a row for L, R & Centre? They would all be same height but what about performance?

Sorry for the noob Qs but once I get these ideas dealt with I know what I can/can't do :thumbsup:

Thanks, understand it now. Sticking to the aesthetics point of my original question, how about using say 3 centre speakers in a row for L, R & Centre? They would all be same height but what about performance?

Sorry for the noob Qs but once I get these ideas dealt with I know what I can/can't do :thumbsup:

Centre speakers are on there sides for the reason there normally above or below a display so a short hight is desirable. But a centre is were most people in the viewing room will be on axis, so off axis response is not as important, were as a front can not be on axis for everyone, but they have a very good off axis response to counter this, 3 centres will not have that same good off axis response and thus technically the performance isnt as good, but this is were u make a compremise between aesthetics and performance.

Do some testing site directly infront of your speaker playing some music then move away off axis and see if you can see what i mean about the off axis response, try this with a centre and front.

Thanks. Appreciate your assistance. I'll have to have a rethink I reckon. Not going to be able to afford to go and buy 3 centres just to test a theory, nor do I want to buy a L&R and centre and set them up so they look pants:D

Planning my setup so it looks right is turning out to be a right nightmare :rolleyes: :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom