Noob plasma setup question

JohnCCFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I read lots of stuff on these forums over the last couple of days and have bought a Samsung PS42D4SX (delivered in a couple of days. Now before you all tut (understandable) and say why no panny PW6/7 (I know, I know) or simply say 'send it back quick', I have to explain that I had Dixons vouchers and HAD to buy something from them. Given the value of my vouchers etc, I made my choice over the Philips 42" (heard so many lip-sync issues on this forum).

So, unfortuante choice aside, what do I now need to know as a first-time plasma owner. I have a 5.1 setup (mediocre, but in place) and a nice large room and am replacing a 36" crt. I watch news, movies, and sport, play xbox, PS2, have Sky+, DVD HDD, and DivX and also can shove the PC though it (just attempting to demonstrate my variety of intended uses) and thought I was fairly fussy about my PQ until I read all the 'buy a panny' threads. Since then I've settled for a stuck-with-it-for-now approach (mind you, I've spent the afternoon with a proper HD demo and am so blown away, I don't care what you have, it's a poor picture by comparison - so my thinking goes)

Back to the point, I have nice (ish) scarts all round for my many devices and would like PQ help on ANY aspect of my setup. As the plasma is not delivered yet, and therefore (purchase aside) no initial mistakes have been made (i.e. re: burn-in) I am wondering what I should do/can do to improve the PQ. I'm am a complete noob on the whole subject and have learned everything I do know, from this forum in the past 24 hrs.

ANY comments from owners of the same Samsung would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

Make sure you turn DNIe and DNR off, they make things look plasticy. Also, go for Component wherever possible, it's much better than scart.

Peabo said:
Make sure you turn DNIe and DNR off, they make things look plasticy. Also, go for Component wherever possible, it's much better than scart.
Thanks for the response. I've spent so long reading so much stuff about PDPs, it not exactly like buying a TV is it. So confusing.

I have a single component input, my (cheap) DVD/DivX box has component output. As I watch Sky+ the most, is there any value in getting a scart (sky)to component (PDP) cable?

Johnny Thunder said:
One of THESE
if the budget allows.....
Thanks for that. I was looking at scalers yesterday (wishing I could afford one), is this a kind of low-end version of a scaler. I'm a bit thick. If I were able to see a real benefit, I could stretch to one. Is component THAT much better than plain old RGB(scart)? Would this box improve my Sky+ signal that much.
Also, would there be any benefit to using the RGB to VGA adapter they sell. I'm showing my confusion I'm sure.

I know I have a different panal than yours, but you will easily see a huge difference in the PQ of yours once it has done about 100-200 miles, i mean hours of viewing. Dont be tempted to keep adjusting the settings to improve things else you will just spoil other types of programs. Think the general rule is keep the brightness/contrast down as much as you can for the 200 hours at least, this will avoid burn in. Having said that, all the screens I see in shopping ardcades seem to be LG or Samsung and dont seem to suffer screen burn.

Wait for the 200 hourse before deciding on a scaler etc

Happy viewing.

John,

The JS-Tech converters are very different to a scaler. The converters are simply converting an RGB output into either VGA, component or S-video - albeit they do that very well. A scaler does far, far more, and that's why they are far more expensive - typically they will convert the incoming resolution to a different one to output to the best resolution for the screen on which the image is to be displayed, may also change the frame rate (probably 50 Hz to 60Hz) to match the capabilities of input cards on the plasma, and the better ones also allow for advanced calibration of decoder controls, colour temperature and so on.

I haven't tried any of the JS-Tech converters with a Samsung panel (and the web site doesn't mention compatibility with Samsung) but either the VGA converter or the YUV should work and _may_ give an improvement. Why the hesitation? - not having actually tried with a Samsung I am being cautious - if you are in the West Midlands I would be more than happy to let you try all the alternatives and find out which actually works best, but no doubt you are in the far North of Scotland or Cornwall. :D :D

JohnCCFC said:
Thanks for the response. I've spent so long reading so much stuff about PDPs, it not exactly like buying a TV is it. So confusing.

I have a single component input, my (cheap) DVD/DivX box has component output. As I watch Sky+ the most, is there any value in getting a scart (sky)to component (PDP) cable?
Make sure you connect the DVD player via Component, same goes for your XBox/PS2. Check this site out for Component cables for your consoles:

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/

Not sure if there is any point doing this with Sky, RGB Scart should be fine on that.

Piers said:
[SNIP] I haven't tried any of the JS-Tech converters with a Samsung panel (and the web site doesn't mention compatibility with Samsung) but either the VGA converter or the YUV should work and _may_ give an improvement. Why the hesitation? - not having actually tried with a Samsung I am being cautious - if you are in the West Midlands I would be more than happy to let you try all the alternatives and find out which actually works best, but no doubt you are in the far North of Scotland or Cornwall. :D :D

I'm in Bristol (useful for the show, not for your offer of help - though thanks).

In fact, maybe you could clear something up for me. Below I have listed my spec found on some site (HK) from a thread here which I believe to be correct for my panel. Also, here is a pic that I believe to be my connections (also plagarised from another thread).

Is there any difference between a VGA input and Component input in terms of the quality?

Also, and please don't laugh if it's a stupid question, is there anything that a scaler could do a panel with a spec like mine up to bring a PQ up to anything like HD quality?

SAMSUNG - PS-42D4S

Display
-------
Size : 42"
Aspect Ratio : 16:9
resolution : 852(H) x 480(V)
Pixel Pitch : 1.095 x 1.110 mm
Num of colors : 16.77 million
Brightness : 1000 cd/m2
Contrast : 3000:1
Viewing Angle : 160 ( H / V)
Display scan : Cinema Progressive - DCDi
Color Tone : Cool2/Cool1/Normal/Warm1/Warm2
Picture Mode : Dynamic/Standard/Movie/Custom
Picture Enhancement : DNIe 2
RF Tuner : 2
Comb Filter : 4H Digital
Noise Reduction : DNR

Features
--------
PIP : Large, Small, Double
Auto Power Off : After 15 min
Sleep Timer : Max 180 min
OSD : Yes
OSD Language : 5 (Eng, Chi, Fre, Arab, Persian)

Terminal
--------
TV System : PAL - B/G, D/K, I, l/l
: SECAM - B/G, D/K
: NTSC - 3.58/VIT/4.43
Component : 2 (input) - 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i
A/V Composite : 1 (input)
S-Video (Din-4p): 2 (input)
Digital RGB 1(D-Sub 21 Pin), Audio(Phone)
Analog RGB : 1(D-Sub 15 Pin), Audio(Phone)
Sound Output : SRS Tru Surround XT, Nicam, A2 Stereo, 15W x 2

(It appears that my panel has a single component input - 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i - and a VGA and a DVI input, rather than the 2 component inputs as listed above)

Peabo said:
Make sure you connect the DVD player via Component
Ok, makes sense.

Peabo said:
same goes for your XBox/PS2
May be tricky (number of inputs) would need a component switcher (wouldn't I?).

Peabo said:
Not sure if there is any point doing this with Sky, RGB Scart should be fine on that.
Why is that?

Sorry for keep firing questions at you, I really appreciate your answers.

JohnCCFC said:
Ok, makes sense.

May be tricky (number of inputs) would need a component switcher (wouldn't I?).

Why is that?

Sorry for keep firing questions at you, I really appreciate your answers.
You can get a switcher from the console website, I have one and see no reduction in quality. If you want to put Sky into a component port then you can, I'm just not sure it will make too much of a difference since the Sky box doesn't have component output int he first place.

John,

If I have read the spec correctly it looks like your panel will accept component via the dedicated component inputs and also via the VGA port (which can be assigned to RGB or component). The panel also accepts RGB via scart and this may be your best bet for Sky. With the Panasonic TH series you have to buy a scart board to connect by scart and better picture quality can be obtained converting the Sky RGB to VGA.

I used a Lumagen DVI scaler on my standard def PWD4 and saw a substantial improvement in the picture quality but cannot claim that it was up to high def standard.

Peabo said:
You can get a switcher from the console website, I have one and see no reduction in quality. If you want to put Sky into a component port then you can, I'm just not sure it will make too much of a difference since the Sky box doesn't have component output int he first place.
Ok, so Sky's output is our limitation, to check my understanding;
-a RGB -> Component LEAD would not help (for sky)
-a (JS Tech type) RGB -> Component BOX 'may' help (assuming it's compatible).
- using a component switcher, I could put other (RGB) devices though the BOX and 'may' improve their picture also

Piers, thanks for answer.

Piers (or anyone), if you have the patience and the inclination I wonder if you could give me a potted summary of SD, HD, resoutions, and possibly even the effects of a scaler in relation. A couple of sentances would do. I'm trying to get my head around the line where SD becomes HD and 'what does and doesn't' contribute to PQ. I understand (enough for now) what full HD would be, and what true HD comprises, but am just trying to get a flavour of what can be done without it (with my 852 x 480 res). Thanks.

(p.s. this confusion is caused in part by hearing that my panel is 'Hd Ready with the Right High Quality Cables and a HD Box')

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom