Noob on a budget seeking advice.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by EDI-Fuzzy, Apr 21, 2007.

1. EDI-Fuzzy

EDI-Fuzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I have been lurking and reading for a while but I now need some assistance please.

I bought a cheap all in one 5.1 surround system a few years back and have finally got fed up of the tinny speakers and lack of bass.
    I would like to buy something new that I can build up as I go. I have about £500.00 to spend in total at the moment on both an amp and speakers. (5.1 sound is not high on the wifes' priorities) I know my budget is pocket money compared to what some of you have spent but we have to work with what we've got.

I think the best thing to do is to split the money roughly 75:25 in favour of the amp as the speakers can always be upgraded in the future and anything at this price point will be better than what I have at the moment.

This setup will be in a room of 4m x 4m square so massive volumes probably won't be necessary.

I have been looking at the Denon 1907 (also looked at used 2803's and 2805's) and the Onkyo 604 along with some others. I am not too bothered about the HDMI switches as I only have one HDMI source (TVDrive). I also have an XBOX 360 connected by component to the TV and will connect to the amp hopefully by optical cable. I think 7.1 surround may be overkill so I will probably only use 5.1. I will probably need 2 optical (Xbox 360 and TVDrive) and 1 SPDIF input connection (My PC).

What I am looking for is just basically suggestions of amps to look at within my budget and I will do some research. The part I am most confused about is the speakers. They have to be wife friendly (i.e she hates floor standers), please suggest something that will work well with the 2 amps mentioned above. (5.1's for up to about £250.00)

Thanks for any assistance as I need to get this before forza 2 lands on the mat behind my front door.

2. EDI-Fuzzy

EDI-Fuzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking around again and have found teh Yamaha Yamaha RXV559DAB and 459DAB. How do these 2 compare to the Denon and onkyo mentioned in my previous post? I like the Idea of DAB radio.

3. czechmaniac77

czechmaniac77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. czechmaniac77

czechmaniac77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry i am a moron. I whipped through your post ignoring the part about
    you not liking tiny speakers. If i may offer a piece of advice. Buy a nice amp,
    some nice bookshelf speakers and a sub. Then add the rest when money permits. That is what i did. I know waiting is hard but i think it may not be terribly realistic trying to put together a full size system for 500 pounds.

Start with something like this.
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=WHAR-8.1SE-BLK
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-540R-V2-SIL
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=790
    Then add center and rears later.

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just done similar. I got a 540R second-hand from Richer Sounds, the Version 1, for £180. I also got a pair of F30 Celestion floorstanding speakers for £180, and a Kef Q6 somethingorother centre speaker for £90. That's £450, but I already had a small sub and some rears, so the job's a goodun'.

The F30 speakers need a bit of running in before they really sound at their best, and they are a little bass-light, but they sound great with even a small subwoofer added to fill in the lower frequencies.

I really can't get over how nice this system sounds, for the budget. It even sounds good with CDs (relatively, for a 'home cinema' set-up) and the sound has a lot of detail.

The Kef centre is particularly good: no more muffled dialogue on certain DVDs for me!

6. EDI-Fuzzy

EDI-Fuzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the look of the Cambridge Audio AZUR 540R V2 but is it as good as the Denon 1907 and the Onkyo 604?

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't loaded with features (other than being a 6.1 amp) and some of the menus are a little tricky, but for the price, the sound quality is great. It's such a natural, detailed sound, I'm really pleased with it. It would appear to drive largeish speakers with ease, and more importantly, it's 'retro' facia passed the Wife Test...

8. EDI-Fuzzy

EDI-Fuzzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand the wife test well... "it can't be too big", "it can't be too small", "it has to be silver", then she decides she likes black...I just can't win....I will just buy what I want and take the consequences!! :) Thanks for your help

9. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I give another thumbs up to the CA 540Rv2, and it pairs quite nicely with Mordaunt Shorts

Shaz