noob needs help

slasher

Standard Member
Hi all,
about to move in with my better half and am looking for a complete home cinema set up. The tv is going to be the samsung ue55d7000 so got a budget of £700 at the most for everything else if it's possible. Was just going to go for the Samsung HT-C6930W which would be the easy route as i've no idea where to start, but thought i would check out the site and it seems that an out of the box system is'nt that highly rated.
Will have an x-box 360, sky+HD and a wii with an i-pod dock as well,

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Your budget should be fine for separate AV receiver, 5.1 speaker package and cables. An AV receiver would be far more flexible in terms of inputs and features and will allow you to connect all your sources both by audio and video cable and route a single HDMI cable to the TV. Look for an AV receiver that supports video conversion AKA upconversion. This would take your analogue wii (and ipod if you use video) and upconvert it to HDMI output. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend buying a component cable for the wii to maximise the picture quality. What type of Xbox360 do you have? Is it HDMI or one of the older core/premium non HDMI models that uses component/VGA?

Do you have a Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, Superfi or independent AV/HiFi dealer near you? Any ideas on a particular size/style of speaker? Unfortunately your budget will limit you to the smaller compact sub/sat speaker packages but you can get alternatives such as the Wharfedale stuff from avbristol.

At the top end of your budget would be a setup based on the Q-Acoustics 2000 speaker package.

Plenty of bundle/package deals at audiovisualonline, hispek, petertyson, hifix, quantumelectronics, royjowetthomecinema, creative-audio

Last edited:

slasher

Standard Member
Hi all,
about to move in with my better half and am looking for a complete home cinema set up. The tv is going to be the samsung ue55d7000 so got a budget of £700 at the most for everything else if it's possible. Was just going to go for the Samsung HT-C6930W which would be the easy route as i've no idea where to start, but thought i would check out the site and it seems that an out of the box system is'nt that highly rated.
Will have an x-box 360, sky+HD and a wii with an i-pod dock as well,

Thanks mate,

Did some looking around and here's what i came up with

Denon AVR1911 and Boston Acoustics Soundware XS for £599.99 minus VAT as i am in Guernsey so limited to what i can get over here, if they will deliver it here. As for the player i'm stumped, will have maybe £240 for the player, cables and whatever the delivery charges will be. X-Box is an elite and am playing it via a HDMI cable. Will run this by my local AV/HiFi shop and see what they can do.

What do you think, am i being to optomistic ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom