Noob just ordered Amp and Speakers.. have I done ok or have i had a noob nightmare?

Quint

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking at all the advice on here for weeks and finally after having various demos, have opted to order the following for my 1st Home theatre setup.

Yamaha RXV1065 for £ 399.00

Monitor Audio Radius R270HD AV12 Speaker System £ 999.00
  • 2 x Monitor Audio R270HD Left and Right Channels

• 1 x Monitor Audio R250 Centre Channel

• 2 x Monitor Audio R90 Surround Speakers

• 1 x Monitor Audio R370HD Subwoofer

Unfortunately I couldn't demo the amp and speaker selection together, as no shop close by had both in stock. Doh!
For Info: (Yamaha 1065 amp was hooked up to Monitor Audio R90 HD10)
(Heard the R270HD AV12 speaker system with Denon 2310, and it sounded great).

So the big question , before everything is delivered, do you think I have done ok, i.e. got a reasonable amount of bang for my buck (total cost inc sub cable and QED cable 1460.00)

Or have I had a total newbie nightmare and should I cancel my order ASAP.

:lease: Let me know your thoughts....

Cheers

Hey Quint,

Rest easy, "the boy done good". Sometimes it can be difficult to try all the combinations on a short list - unless you know someone who owns a well stocked AV shop.

If those speakers sounded good with the Denon, they should sound just as good with the Yamaha as both the Yammy and Denon have a similarly warm character, and both are very musical so you'll be set for film and music with no worries.

Let us know how you get on, and any set-up issues will be answered by the good folk of this forum.

Darn well i would say.

The MA's are or were retailing at £1650. Hifix is doing a set for £999 but that is for an ex demo so if yours are brand new then you are more than quids in.

Here's hoping that it all sounds good together.

well done :thumbsup:

Are the R250 and R90 speakers HD speakers as well or the older Radius range? If the 250 is not the HD range I would be tempted to swap it for the 250HD to ensure a good tonal balance over the front 3 speakers. Other than that a great set of speakers and reciever for the price. They should do you fo many years, unless the upgrade bug hits!!!!!

Are the R250 and R90 speakers HD speakers as well or the older Radius range? If the 250 is not the HD range I would be tempted to swap it for the 250HD to ensure a good tonal balance over the front 3 speakers. Other than that a great set of speakers and reciever for the price. They should do you fo many years, unless the upgrade bug hits!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply, Just checked and all the speakers are the HD's :thumbsup:

Hopefully you are right and this system does do me for a few years. I know what you mean about the upgrade bug though... I'm already checking out all the new amps.

Hey Quint,

Rest easy, "the boy done good". Sometimes it can be difficult to try all the combinations on a short list - unless you know someone who owns a well stocked AV shop.

If those speakers sounded good with the Denon, they should sound just as good with the Yamaha as both the Yammy and Denon have a similarly warm character, and both are very musical so you'll be set for film and music with no worries.

Let us know how you get on, and any set-up issues will be answered by the good folk of this forum.

Thanks Duke, it is very reassuring to think it will be similar to the Denon. I'm sure i'll be asking a million q's with all the setup issues.... I know I have to update the firmware on the 1065 to get skyHD to work properly, also have to configure PS3 fat for blue ray etc..

Thanks Duke, it is very reassuring to think it will be similar to the Denon. I'm sure i'll be asking a million q's with all the setup issues.... I know I have to update the firmware on the 1065 to get skyHD to work properly, also have to configure PS3 fat for blue ray etc..

The Yamaha is straight forward to set up and you'll have it pumping out DTS MA/ DD Tru HD sound tracks in no time. As the older PS3s cannot bitstream HD codec (decoding is done on board the PS3 and sent to the AVR as Linear PCM) you'll not have the codec displayed on the AVR's front panel, 'PCM' will be shown instead. But in terms of SQ - this makes no difference, it's just a case of where the decoding is done. :smashin:

My only suggestion would be to swap the Surrounds to the R180s.

The yamaha has a global crossover setting, so that you need to set the crossover to be the same for all speakers.

the 270s and the 250s have good low end frequency responses so, you would have no problem setting the crossover to the normal 80HZ. However, the R90s have low end frequency of 80HZ. You usually set the crossover above the lowest frequency response of the speaker to give a bit of headroom. This is because sometimes, speaker manufactureres quote the lowest frwquency response at the -3db down point so you're not getting the full level at 80HZ. It's good to have some headroom anyway.

This means setting a crossover on the Yamaha of 100HZ (though you may get away with 90HZ).

This means that the front 3 speakers are not being used in a way that gets the best out of them and the sub is producing more of the sound spectrum.

The R270HD is a fantastic package and at that price, It's a bargain! I would probably agree with the comment above ref swapping the 90s for 180s just to get the absolute best out of the system, given the limitation of the crossover. I have just bought the R270HD, with 90s as surrounds but with an RSW12 sub. Have got a Denon AVR2310 though so I can set variable crossovers. As for sound, the Yam should be great as they tend to also partner well with MA. By the way, I demoed them against the B&W MT30 and Kef 3005 and I used to own Kef 5005s. The MA blows them all away. Good work!

Last edited:
Quint. Where did you get the MAs at this price? I am looking for the same setup but with the discounted Yamaha 2065. Please PM me if you cannot say publicly.

Are you pleased with your system? How is it for music? Do you have 270s positioned near to rear wall. Is the bass boom?

Sorry for all the questions. Also new to this!

Hi,i searched for 2 weeks for best price on the same speaker setup and best i found was 1575 and got that down 2 1400 wich included swapping the surrounds to the r180s as recomended by dicklodge,so to get that set for 999 seems unbelievable,what a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom