Noob help please

Porta105

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been avidly following the boards for a while now and having just had my job confirmed (I graduate uni in a month) I can eventually splash out on the TV I've been hankering after.

Now I'm looking for a 37"-42" lcd or plasma with a top budget of about £700. It'll be used for PS3 (online fps, sports games) which at times can be a marathon session, Dvd's, and Sky HD on average I'd say the split is 35:10:55.

I've narrowed it down to:
Samsung LE40B550 £670 @ play.com
Sony KDL37V5500 £675 @ richersounds

or are the following worth a punt?
Samsung PS42B451B £650 @ currys
Panasonic TXP42X10B £650 @ currys

Thanks in advance guys, any help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Ok 51 views but no help, hmmmm.

Just been looking around for any better prices etc and John Lewis are selling the Samsung LE40B550 for £900?! Any reason why they're charging £230 more than other places, they seem to be more expensive on nearly all their sets.

Ok 51 views but no help, hmmmm.

Just been looking around for any better prices etc and John Lewis are selling the Samsung LE40B550 for £900?! Any reason why they're charging £230 more than other places, they seem to be more expensive on nearly all their sets.

John Lewis pretty much always sell at MSRP which is probably £900 for that set. When you say charging more then other places do you mean local retail stores or online ? As far as I'm aware in local retail the prices are generally the same everywhere except places like Richer Sounds which are often cheaper.

John Lewis does include a 5 year warranty at no extra cost which almost no other retailer with one or two exceptions does. Not only that their 5 year warranty is generally thought to be much better then any extended warranty offered by any other retailers except for maybe Richer Sounds.

Richer Sounds has the B650 which is a higher end model for £778 or for £856 with a five year warranty.

Thanks for that Moogle, would you say that John Lewis is a better place to buy from than play.com which have the 40B550 @ £670?

Also my top budget is £700 so the B650 is out of my league unfortunately, what's your thoughts on the Sony 37V5500? I've heard that the panels are inferior on the 37's but too what extent is this actually noticeable?

Last edited:
Hi

The 37" LCD panels are not as good as the 32" or 40" as said - and it is noticeable.

It is a pity you can't stretch to the Samsung 40" B650 as that is a supurb TV (must add I own the 40" A656).

Still, you are going through the fun bit - reading the reviews, researching and looking around the shops. Take your time! :)

Alan

The fun bit? Every time I think I've found a the one for me I read a bad comment somewhere or some more information and end up changing my mind lol. My budget has already gone from £500 to £700 (which is my ultimate max now)

I've been reading the B550 vs B650 thread and from what I can work out there isn't too much to be had between them, so would the B550 still be a great choice?

Hi Porta

Yes - it is the fun bit. The actual purchasing bit is boring!

You need to know your own requirements and to stick to them. People have opinions, but many of them are subjective and not worth cool calm consideration.

Forums are good if you know what you want and for asking particular questions and seeking advice from the "experts". But do not take the answers too seriously.

For objective knowledge you need to read the reviews in magazines and on various websites. Pick out a few TVs that read well and go and have a look for yourself in the retail outlets. Once you have narrowed it down to one or two sets and have gained knowledge of TVs and what is on the market then post on the forum with any queries.

On any forum there will always be bad comments on any TV - that is the nature of the attraction. The word 'minefield' springs to mind!

So, do your own research (like finding out the difference between the B550 and B650) because knowledge is power, then you can make up your own mind which one to choose based on the aggregate (as it were).

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom