Noob help, not sure what I need [or what it's called!]

MrBaxter

Standard Member
Hi.
I've been googling what I want, or what I think I want and I've been going around in circles, and to be fair, I've confused myself.
When I have googled stuff I've ended up here a few times.
Rather than confuse myself I just thought I would ask.
I have looked about but I am new and I haven't found the "this is the thread that fixes all your problems"..

I have an internet connection.
I have a router.
I have a WD MyBookLive.
I have a Rotel RA-01 amp.
I have some old B&W 600 i speakers.

I'm no snob, I am no audiophile, but with a CD player I am pleased with the quality of the sound so I would like to keep this system.

What messed it up is that I saw a Sonos and thought it was rather nice, just a bit steep..
Then I came across the Sonos ZP90 / Connect and thought hhmmm.

Now, what I am trying to achieve is a device that will sit on the top of my amp and wirelessly take mp3 from my NAS drive and play it on my amp and be controlled by a android interface.

Lovely though the Sonos is I've not been able to find out if I need to run a Zone Bridge to first broadcast the music for the connect to receive it or if the connect will work directly from the router? That's question one that is.

Then, does anyone know anything better [or less expensive] that will do what I want? [That's question 2!]

Are these called media streamers? for it to be a streamer does it first not need to stream something, like transmit, So if you have a media streamer, what's a media receiver called? or am I being a tard or is it a bad name?

Oh, ideally I want it with phono connections.

:)

MrBaxter

Standard Member
Okay, now I'm sat at a PC [Thats P for Proper and C for Computer] I can now see only by reading the reviews on Sonos's own website that you do indeed need a Zone bridge.
Not looking good for the Sonos at the moment..

halfelite

Im slightly confused what you are asking. You only need the zonebridge if none of the other sonos devices are near a cat5 connection to your server. if you have one of the zone players and can connect it to a cat5 connection you dont need the zone bridge. one piece in the sonos setup has to be hard wired to your network.

MrBaxter

Standard Member
Sorry, I'm Northern.
I'll skip out the drivel...

.... I've not been able to find out if I need to run a Zone Bridge to first broadcast the music for the connect to receive it or if the connect will work directly from the router?
Followed by me reading a review on Sonos's website..

I can now see only by reading the reviews on Sonos's own website that you do indeed need a Zone bridge.
... to transmit wireless music for the connect to receive.

I answered my own question, Sonos's website is a little ambiguous in this respect, it takes for granted that you know what you're on about, I don't, it wasn't written in clear enough language for me to understand.. Seems I'm not the only one either judging by the reviews..

graham.myers

Sonos does not talk across wireless to any devices other than to other sonos kit. It creates its own mesh network. At least one sonos unit must be connected to a wired network. If your zp90/connect cant be connected to your router then you need a bridge to connect to the router. This then talks wirelessly to the other bits of sonos kit and streams away.

MrBaxter

Standard Member
Yep, got it.
Okay, now, can you point me in the direction of some other piece of kit that will do a similar job without a TV?

MarkE19

You might have more luck finding what you are after in the dedicated music streamer section of the forum - this section is for video streaming.
Click on the report post button and ask a moderator to move the thread rather than cross posting if you do want it moved to the following section: Streamers and Network Music Players | AVForums.com - UK Online

Mark.

DodgeTheViper

Moved ;)

neilball

Yep, got it.
Okay, now, can you point me in the direction of some other piece of kit that will do a similar job without a TV?
Sonos does exactly what you need although you may need to include a bridge as well as the ZP90/Connect. It will stream music from your NAS over the "special" Sonos mesh network wirelessly. If you have music on your Android device then it can stream from that too (as it can from your iPhone, iPad, and Touch too) as well as running the free Sonos control App.

Take a look at the Sonos Dealer Finder to see if you have any local dealers who can give you a demo, it is much easier to take in what Sonos can offer when you see and hear it in person :)

amcluesent

Sonos do a free app for Android. You won't now find anything cheaper than Sonos CONNECT that can stream from a NAS and is easy to setup and use.

Last edited:

smarty

I've got the Sonos Android app but I can't see how you can stream from the phone directly to the Sonos Connect (as mentioned in previous post).
How do you do it?

neilball

Official direct Sonos streaming from your Android device to Sonos (to match the feature under IOS6)'is still under development but I've heard of people setting up a standard network share on their Android device so that Sonos can scan it in the normal way. I'm not an Android user myself so have no direct experience nor details on its ease/difficulty to implement.

mineisapint

Standard Member
You don't need a bridge. You can plug a network cable between the router and the sonos if you prefer. Alternatively, you can use homeplugs to run the network through your electrical circuit - this is the approach i have taken and has worked perfectly.

A cheaper option could be a WD TV Live media box. It will allow playback of your MP3's and also video should you ever wish to try (approx £80). It can be controlled by Android using apps like MediaHouse.

Cebolla

Then, does anyone know anything better [or less expensive] that will do what I want? [That's question 2!]

Are these called media streamers? for it to be a streamer does it first not need to stream something, like transmit, So if you have a media streamer, what's a media receiver called? or am I being a tard or is it a bad name?

Oh, ideally I want it with phono connections.

The general use of the term 'streamer' is a device through which a media data stream passes through in order to play it to an attached device that has no means of playing the media by itself. Usually, a streamer can also control what is being streamed (select the media to be played). Most commercially available streamers support DLNA and these are known as DLNA clients. Those DLNA clients that cannot control what is being streamed are known as DLNA renderers and require a seperate DLNA controller to do this for them. The DLNA clients that can control what is being streamed contain a built in DLNA controller and are known as DLNA players. The better DLNA players can operate in renderer mode as well as in player mode, ie they can be controlled by an external DLNA controller as well as by their own internal one.

You seem to require a box whose main job will be to play only music type files (MP3) wirelessly from those stored on a NAS, to your integrated stereo hifi amplifier via its analogue phono input sockets (as well as sit on it). Hence, what you should be looking for is a good sound quality 'network audio (DLNA) player' and more specifically a wireless one. However, there is one prerequisite in that there must be a DLNA server on the network to supply the files in the first place. Fortunately, your WD MyBookLive NAS comes with one built in.

Most network audio players come with their own free Android/iOS app to control them (ie in addition to their own remote control) and can also have music files 'pushed' to them from the DLNA server by third party (external) DLNA controller applications (popular Android app examples include BubbleUPnP, Skifta, etc).

Internet/street prices start from ~£200 and the more you pay, generally the better the build, electronic components and sound quality will be. Popular examples of network audio players include:
Denon DNP-720AE (£190) - wireless built in
Denon DNP-F109 (£240) - wireless built in
Pioneer N-30 (£240) - requires Pioneer ASWL300 wireless adapter (£50) or pair of network homeplugs (~£25+), for wireless
Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 (£300) - wireless built in
Marantz NA7004 (£300) - requires pair of network homeplugs (~£25+), for wireless
Pioneer N-50 (£380) - requires Pioneer ASWL300 wireless adapter (£50) or pair of network homeplugs (~£25+), for wireless
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 (£600) - wireless built in

The best thing about these network audio players is that if you ever decide to rip your cds in order to store the collection on your NAS, especially in one of the lossless formats (to have the exact copy and therefore best quality transfer), you should then be able to replace an ageing (and even a more up to date) CD player with a device that is of similar if not better sound quality (depending on price/construction) with potentially an infinite number of ways of instantly accessing any of the tracks in the collection.

therixonator

Novice Member
Really? How do you do that?
Yes I thought only certain idevices could do this. Has there been another upgrade recently?

Back to the OP. I think £280 for a brand new connect is about the best you could do. There are other devices that are cheaper but you need to research them and see if they work for you.

Cheapest best options...
You could look for a second hand ZP80 or 90 on an auction site.
Look into a second hand Squeezebox Touch, they don't make new ones anymore.
If you love apple, they do something called an Airport Express. It has had pretty mixed reviews on here though.

smarty

I looked at second hand Connects but they're going for silly money. Almost as much as new ones.
I got a new one from John Lewis for £265.

therixonator

Novice Member
I looked at second hand Connects but they're going for silly money. Almost as much as new ones.
I got a new one from John Lewis for £265.
I just searched "ZP80" in completed listings and they seem to go for between £160-185. One went for £128, that was a good deal! ZP80 has all the same functionality as the 90/Connect, just older and a bit bigger.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom