Noob getting a Dreambox 800HD needs help

coconuts

Standard Member
Hi lads, I'm looking for some info here if someone can point me in the right direction please. I currently have an MMDS Box-T which is dying daily so I'm looking at getting a satellite receiver to replace it. By looking through the forums a Dreambox 800HD seems a good option and a good price (£173.80) from dvbseller.com
What I need to know is what do I need to do when I receive the Dreambox? I already have a sky dish setup from a previous connection to them so is it just a matter of flashing an image to the Dreambox and off I go or is there something else I have to do? I'm getting a null modem cable with a usb connection to do the flash and a scart to component cable for picture. Is there anything else I need? Thanks for any help and sorry for being a noob to all this :)

Last edited:

Oily

Novice Member
You don't need a null cable to flash,you can flash via a web browser.You only need the null cable if you flash a bad/incompatible image and you can't access the DM via the web browser.But still worth having just incase ;)
Are you going to be watching Sky through it,i.e your sky subscription?You'll need a box key for your card to do that,just google that.
You'll also need a channel list,I've got one just for the sky channels if you need it.
You'll need Dreamboxedit(needed to edit channel lists and send them to the DM) and DCC(Dreambox Control Centre,needed to send files etc)again google these

Last edited:

lovelldr

Few other things to note. That seller (and prices around that price), are not genuine dm800 boxes. They are chinese clones. Lots of reports of bad clones being sent out with fuses blowing, bad tuners etc. But then again, lots of users who have no problems (think Oily's dm800 is a clone, and thfccambs has a dm800 clone iirc, and don't think either have had problems).

Since they are clones, you will need to load dm800 clone images with the specified bootloader for your box. This will ensure it should work properly. Using a genuine image on a clone will cause it not to load, and need to be reformatted (nothing more than that at the moment (could change if dmm decide to try and be a bit more hasty with banning clones?!).

Also, as Oily says, you will need to get your subscription card all sorted out, and install CCcam to get it reading (or one of the other softcams). If you do not have a subscription, you won't get any channels other than the fta channels (well, we're not allowed to talk about getting any other channels on here, so if you don't have a subscription, do a google search for cccam and sharing).

Also, buy yourself a hard drive to record channels to ;) If using an internal sata drive, maximum is 500gb (might take the 640gb drives, but not sure if they will fit in to the chassis?!). Otherwise, with an e-sata hdd, you can go up to 2tb (unless a higher size is now released?!), but they need to be powered by a seperate power connection (usually supplied with the hdd).

coconuts

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies, alot of info there. I've come across a lad who does cardsharing on Dreambox 500-s boxes but we're not allowed to talk about that here I take it so I might just get that off him and play around with it and maybe upgrade to the HD box after a while :)

lovelldr

One thing I would say, is to make sure you're not paying him for it ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom