Quantcast

Question Noob :D i am buying my mum a birthday present. Whats the best vintage amplifier speaker combo? Tx

tornpower

Novice Member
:D

Soooooo. Ive spent the last four hours trawling this forum. I now have a list - below - of speakers and amplifiers/receivers that might work.

Several questions to you very experienced and wonderful people:

1. Will these speakers work with these amps?
2. Is there any difference between a receiver and an amplifier?
3. Is there a best combo here?
4. Do i need gold plated cables as well?

At the moment I am thinking that I will get Mum the Nad amp with the Tannoy Gold speakers because i've got two friends who recommended these makes and they've got lots of watchers so assume they are legit. The price of them together is what I hoped to spend. Is this a bad idea?

Then I will save up and get myself the Sansui G-5700 and then not sure what the best speakers are for this. Perhaps none of the ones I have listed here? Could anyone help? Like I said my friend recommended Tannoy but not sure what type - some are mad expensive? At the moment kind of going off of looks... :(

KEY info :laugh::) *** we both mostly listen to reggae *** :clap::cool: often off vinyl. I also listen to 70s rock and early blues.

Like I said I am a total noob and looking to begin my journey to real sound at home. I know this is a long question and hope someone who really knows will help a brother out!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Speakers:

Vintage Tannoy M20 Gold Mk2
Vintage Tannoy M20 Gold Mk2 Speakers | eBay

B&W DM3
B&W DM3 CLASSIC ENGLISH HI FI SPEAKERS BOWERS AND WILKINS COLES 4001G HF1300 | eBay

KEF 104/2
KEF 104/2 Speakers - Excellent Condition, Pair | eBay

KEF 104 AB
Pair of KEF Mid Century Teak Reference Series 104 AB Speakers Retro Vintage | eBay

Spendor BC11
Spendor BC11 Speakers Pair Serial no 508,509 (E52) | eBay

Pair Bowers & Wilkins B&W DM602
Pair Bowers & Wilkins B&W DM602 Vintage Hi Fi Separates Bookshelf Loud Speakers. | eBay

Amps/receivers

NAD 3020
NAD 3020 Series (inc NAD 3120) Upgrade AP version (You send us your amplifier) | eBay

SANSUI G-5700
SANSUI G-5700 FULL WORK GOOD CONDICTIONS | eBay

Harman Kardon 330A
Harman Kardon 330A Edel Receiver aus den 70er Jahren AM FM ca. 2x20 Watt | eBay

Naim Nait 3 Integrated amplifier
Naim Nait 3 Integrated amplifier | eBay

YAMAHA CR-1020 (just liked the look of this one!)
YAMAHA CR-1020 VINTAGE STEREO RECEIVER | eBay

lindsayt

The Creek CAS4040 was always a better amp than the NAD 3020. And so was the A&R A60.
There are quite a few mid-range to top of the range Japanese amps that sound good and can be bought used for peanuts.

Speakers are a personal choice. I would take Goodmans Magnums or Magisters over any on your list.
For reggae, large to huge bass drivers - good quality ones - in sealed boxes are the way to go, if you can.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I would suggest that the Kef 104's are probably not the ideal speaker for reggae, they have bass but not the sort of bass that you may be looking for.

My response for this application would be one that (some on here) may be getting a bit bored of but -

Stereo preamp (with phono input) plus active speakers will give you that Reggae bass thump you want. Something like this (taking a punt on a £500ish budget). You do need access to a plug by each speakers or run an extensions cable -

M-Audio BX8 D3 8" Active 2-Way DJ Studio Reference Monitor Speakers Black (Pair) 694318022139 | eBay

ROTEL RC-870 HIGH END STEREO PREAMPLIFIER PHONO STAGE MM/MC | eBay

and if you need extra thump then you can add a 12" subwoofer at a later stage (BK XLS200/XLS400) but for most living rooms (15' x 15') the 8" active speakers will be plenty.

Paul7777x

I’m not at all sure why you’d choose to go for such ancient gear?

Is it an aesthetic thing...?

Modern electronics and speakers will be easier to find and likely to last a lot longer.

And despite some ancient people’s claims, will sound better.

Paul7777x

I would suggest that the Kef 104's are probably not the ideal speaker for reggae, they have bass but not the sort of bass that you may be looking for.

My response for this application would be one that (some on here) may be getting a bit bored of but -

Stereo preamp (with phono input) plus active speakers will give you that Reggae bass thump you want. Something like this (taking a punt on a £500ish budget). You do need access to a plug by each speakers or run an extensions cable -

M-Audio BX8 D3 8" Active 2-Way DJ Studio Reference Monitor Speakers Black (Pair) 694318022139 | eBay

ROTEL RC-870 HIGH END STEREO PREAMPLIFIER PHONO STAGE MM/MC | eBay

and if you need extra thump then you can add a 12" subwoofer at a later stage (BK XLS200/XLS400) but for most living rooms (15' x 15') the 8" active speakers will be plenty.
For simplicity and great, big sound you’ll struggle mightily to better this suggestion for the cash.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You apparently have ab out £500 to £700 to spend, with that kind of money is there any reason way you are looking at vintage equipment? Yes, you can get some real bargains in Used equipment if you are willing to take a higher degree of risk. You are somewhat at the mercy of the Seller and how accurately he has represented the product.

1. Will these speakers work with these amps?

All speakers are made to work with all amps, it is just that some combinations work better than others.

2. Is there any difference between a receiver and an amplifier?

The difference between a Receiver and an Integrated Amplifier is that a Receiver has a Radio. Though generalizing, in most cases, Integrated Amps from the same brand are slightly better than Receivers, but Receivers can still be good, just not quite as good. But again - I generalize.

3. Is there a best combo here?

In theory yes, but in practice, you simply do the best you can with the budget and space you have. When it comes to equipment, you do need to give some consideration to matching the Amp and Speakers. But a far greater consideration is matching the Amp and Speakers to your specific needs, your budget, and the room the speakers will be in.

By the way, a clear Statement of the BUDGET is better than a vague implied budget.

4. Do i need gold plated cables as well?

No, Copper is a better conductor than Gold. You need reasonably price cables in proportion to your system cost. Generally, you need not spend more than £2 to £3 per meter for Speaker wires, and for general RCA Interconnects perhaps something in the £15 to £30 range depending on length. If you want specific advice on wire and cable, we can help you with that.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

tornpower

Novice Member
Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

Lidnsay I coudnt find the speakers and the amp you suggested came in considerably cheaper than the one that Ugg suggested which made me prefer Uggs recommendation. Bit silly probably.

Ugg i now have those two options loaded and think I am going to go for them. Was nice to have back up from Paul on this. You cant both be wrong. Thank you very much.

Bluewizard that is some sage advice and thank you for schooling me up.

Having now looked into it for mum im now excited to upgrade my own system. It is definitely an aesthetic decision for me so im going for vintage. I accept that I am taking a risk but I also like the idea that I can get something that was absolutely top of the range previously for cheaper.

Does anyone know if the Sansui G5700 is any good? I read on a forum that someone said it was great but have now read some mixed reports.

Basically I looking to spend around 1k, but could go higher if it makes all the difference, and would like to find speakers and amps that were special in their day. Would love to hear some opinions for what would sound best. Accept that this is a new question and prob should be a new thread. Also are Tannoy speakers really good?

Thanks so much to everyone who got back to me. First experience posting anything online, super impressed with the community here

Arthur

Jampot90

You say aesthetics are important and the Sansui pushes all the right buttons so go for it.

Do however be prepared to invest extra to have it serviced thoroughly by a decent outfit. You will never be sure whether it's sounding as good as it could otherwise, and in the worst case could actually have a failure which renders it un-repairable.

There have been great Tannoy speakers over the years and there may be some from the same era as the Sansui. Identifying suitable candidates within budget may be another ball game. Other period correct candidates would include Celestion, Wharfedale, Leak, Goodmans, Rogers, AR but any and possibly all will be getting tired by now and (probably) impossible to audition or compare until they are in your home. For that reason I would be inclined to look at current speakers unless something special suddenly presents itself and has the same appeal as the Sansui.

Good luck, take your time choosing and enjoy the ride;-)

Jim

Top Bottom