Noob - Budget AV receivers and speakers

^Joe

Novice Member
Hi there,

Great forum :thumbsup:

I am looking for a decent budget set up.

My situation...

Looking to move out in the next couple of years, so I am after a bedroom system, that can be a secondary system in the new house (Big system to be bought in new house).

HDTV is decent, PS3 is used as my blu-ray, and for gaming.

Bedroom is not massive, but each corner is available for speakers. maybe 12' x 13'

Budget for Amp and speakers : £170-£200..

I don't mind second hand at all, looked on ebay at Denon's, but tbh I don't knwo what I'm looking at. Older systems are fine if they do the job.

So I would like an amp, and a speaker system that is going to going to impress me. Bearing in mind I've never heard a proper system, it won't be impossible to impress.

I hope I've given enough info.
Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think your problem is the budget. £200 is very low for both speakers and an AV amp. Even if buying a non HD, non HDMI amp then you're going to have to up your budget to at least £300 and preferably £400 plus.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It isn't as simple as that. The price at this level has little if anything to do with power or the size of your room. The slightly more expensive amps will be no more powerful, but they will offer you more by the way of connectivity and decoding ability. For example, the STRDH500 has HDMI inputs, but those inputs cannot input audio to the amp, neither can the STRDH500 handle the new HD audio formats now prevalent on Blu-ray discs. The sub £250 AV amps offer little when it comes to future expansion or potential for getting the most from Blu-ray and HD audio.

^Joe

Novice Member
Ah I see, I appreciate that.

I was just looking for something more than an 'off the shelf' package.

What would you suggest I do for a 'decent' surround sound system for that sort of cash?

regards
Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
Most opt for the Onkyo TXSR507 or the Sony STRDH800 with the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker package.

There's also the Yamaha RXV465 with the Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 speakers.

steve1224

Novice Member
Look on hi fi for sale, all one word, might be something on there

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom