1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noob audio 'square' 5.1 question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JohnCCFC, Mar 31, 2005.

1. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, having spent my time on the plasma forum, though't I ask an audiophile forum an audio question.

When I had my wooden floor laid last year I ran cables from my source under the floor to each corner of the room (front floorstanders, rear small wall-mounted). The centre speaker is also perfectly positioned in the centre of the correct wall. Problem is, I can't position my plasma in the correct position as my wall has one half set back about a foot from the other, and it does this exactly in the centre of the wall.

So I have to put my plasma between the centre and left, which means my audio is not aligned to the plasma (or vise versa). Should I move my right to where the centre is, and then the centre directly under the plasma, thus creating a smaller square but at least lined up with the screen?

The audio was there first and all in the right place, it's the plasma that caused the problem. I was always under the impression that a larger less directional bank of sound was better, this would put 3 speakers with close proximity of each other.

If anyone had an opinion I'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is important that the centre speaker be centred on the screen in order to pin the dialogue accurately to the screen. Whilst it's nice to have the left and right speakers equidistant from the screen not everyone has the luxury of a house designed with home cinema in mind.

My own left speaker is a couple of feet from the screen whilst the right speaker is 8 feet away but I really no other option (apart from diddy satellites)

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Why not extend the wall with a stud wall just enough to mount your plasma on it?

4. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just set the delay on your amp to take into account the extra distance that your one side of speakers are?

Ie, if left front and rear is x feet further from centre than right front and rear, set the delay on the amp for those channels further away, up a bit so the sound reaches you at the same time in your slightly off centre seating position?

I may be waffling, talking BS. :)

5. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

IanJ - Does your sound 'feel' centred ?? This would be an easy remedy if so.

Davehk - if only life were the simple. WAY too many factors saying I can't do this. Nice thinking though.

add - Not sure if I have this feature, do you think just a few feet (7 actually - I measured it for you) will make that much difference (I may now be showing my ignorance).

Thanks all

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    it's not just the time delay - you'd need to adjust the L/R balance too - (intensity varies with the square of the distance). Also the width of the image would be reduced

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The dialogue is centred as the centre speaker is directly under the TV but ocasionally sounds to the right of the picture are disjointed as the speaker is too far to the right. There isn't much I can do about it as it isn't a dedicated home cinema room but our living room

8. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Davehk - I shall investigate whether I have such a (delay) feature, or may need to consider a new amp (Denon 2805 ??)

IanJ - I may have to settle in the shorter term for a similar setup.

Thanks all.

9. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging from what you are saying, "you" can notice the sound is off centre, and affecting your sounding/viewing pleasure, therefore making enough of a difference to correct it to some degree.

10. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Get a stand for your telly so that you may position it where centre is (or right next to it if it's at silly height) - then you won't need to mess with speakers and symmetry of them in your room.

11. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    add - you are right, I can notice. I will move my centre as per IanJ's suggestion and then see how it is.

FunkyMonkey - unfortunately my plasma is wall mounted symmetrically in the centre of it's piece of wall and can't be moved. Any slight movement would not help enough for audio and would begin to look really strange in the room.

Again, thanks for all comments. I am taking them all on board.