Noob alert

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bobbydigital05, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok I have just my first new entry level available receiver. It's a Yamaha RX V383. I'm a little confused. And I know I'm being a noob. But we all start somewhere.
    If it has so many different settings or Dolby true HD, pro logic 2, DTS X etc, how do you select these on the amp or are they played depending on the source.
    For instance it's easy to change the program ie sports, action game, Hall in Munich etc, but how do I know if it's playing on the best setting like true HD? It doesn't tell you on the information panel on the receiver. So how do I know it's playing in true HD or pro logic 2 or something else?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

2. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I have no direct exp with your your AVR, but on my AVR I just have to push the 'Movie' button to switch between the available sound options.

As a rule the AVR will automatically pick the best one for you. So if you insert Dunkirk in your bluray player, the AVR will select the Atmos option if you have it, if not it will use the DTS 5.1 option.

3. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,119
    Press the info button it will tell you what audio codec it is playing in IE DTS hd master or Dolby true hd that's if you have it connected to a Blu-ray player if your using a PS4 as Blu-ray player it will say PCM Press the info button until it says audio decoder on the display
    If you want it in just 2 channel audio with two speakers press the music button until it says 2 channel stereo if you want it in 5.1 just press straight button [emoji6]

4. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,119
    If you have any other questions please feel free to ask I have the same amp(until I upgrade to a 4k one)

5. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you very much. I'll bare that in mind. I will get to have a good play around with it at the weekend. Thanks for your help. I thought there would be the option to choose the format. But actually I think it's better if it just chooses the best. But what do you mean till you get a 4k one? The RX V383 is 4k?

6. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,420
    The RX-V383 doesn't support Atmos or DTS:X, nor does Dunkirk have an Atmos soundtrack for that matter.

The Yamaha will often try and select a surround program to suit the source content, however, in most cases you should have the avr set on Straight, which passes the original format of the audio track.

If you need to upmix, e.g. from stereo to 5.1, you can set to Standard, or one of the 17 surround programs.

Press the Option button on the remote, then go into DSP / Surround and chiose the required prigram. Alternatively use the app instead.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,141
    You are confusing formats with processing modes. You do not get to choose the format via the AV receiver and this can only be selected via the source. THe source outputs the format that the content is encoded with depending upon the selections you make relative to the options you are given along with the audio output configuration of the source device.

You'd not be able to access certain formats such as DTS:X or Atmos using your receiver because it isn't equipped to handle such formats. You can however receive other formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD as well as multichannel PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS.

AV receivers include the ability to apply additional processing to the audio. Some of these modes can create pseudo surround channels if the source audio lacks the full completment of permissible surround channels. You can for instance apply Dolby Pro Logic or DTS Neo processing to stereo 2 channel source audio in order to create pseudo multichannel surround sound from that source. These modes are accessible using the SUR. DECODER button on Yamaha AV receivers. Note that if the source content already cpnsists of 5.1 or more channels then the upmixing mode with be bypassed because it isn't required.

8. bobbydigital05

bobbydigital05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. I tried using an app but it didn't sync with the amp. I presumed it wasn't compatible. What app do you use? Last question lol.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,141
    You have to connect your receiver to your home network in order to use the Yamaha app. The RXV383 doesn't unfortunately have any inbuilt networking capabilities so cannot therefore be controlled or used in conjunction with the app.

You can cycle through the various upmixing modes available to you be repeatedly pressin the SUR DECODER button on the remote.

10. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm using the official Yamaha AV Controller app on Android

Edit: sorry didn't realise the 383 doesn't have network capability