Noob advice.

MaR86UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Back in July, i began a huge weight loss campaign. I'm 32 years old, 6 foot 4 and have a naturally large frame and started off at a shockingly bad 27 Stone and I've now got down to 20.3 stone and feeling so much better already with work still to be done!!

Now i play 5 a side football every week and have a physically demanding job which helps with the weight loss and i feel like I'm still a few months off being mentally ready to start a gym.

My problem area seems to be my arms (biceps) they have become quite flabby and would like to start working on them now using the pair of 10KG dumbbells i have bought and wouldn't mind working on my chest and shoulders.

Could anyone recommend any websites or iPhone/iPad/Apple TV apps (I don't mind paying) or even Youtube video's that could give me any guidance on what exercises to do and how to do them correctly? Also, any other equipment that i could use at home?

Many Thanks!

Hi guys.

Back in July, i began a huge weight loss campaign. I'm 32 years old, 6 foot 4 and have a naturally large frame and started off at a shockingly bad 27 Stone and I've now got down to 20.3 stone and feeling so much better already with work still to be done!!

Now i play 5 a side football every week and have a physically demanding job which helps with the weight loss and i feel like I'm still a few months off being mentally ready to start a gym.

My problem area seems to be my arms (biceps) they have become quite flabby and would like to start working on them now using the pair of 10KG dumbbells i have bought and wouldn't mind working on my chest and shoulders.

Could anyone recommend any websites or iPhone/iPad/Apple TV apps (I don't mind paying) or even Youtube video's that could give me any guidance on what exercises to do and how to do them correctly? Also, any other equipment that i could use at home?

Many Thanks!
Congrats on the weight loss, that's not easy. As for videos I'd recommend athlean x on YouTube. Why do u feel not ready to join a gym. Do u feel people will point and laugh at you because your new

Thank you.

I’m not sure really as to why I don’t feel ready. I guess I would rather lose another stone or so before I chuck myself in. I’m sure I would be fine with the cardio side but with lifting weights etc I would need a demo I’d imagine.

Will check out the YouTube channel after work and give it ago.

Well done on the progress so far. Unfortunately, no exercise can spot reduce fat. Doing biceps or any arm exercise will not burn fat from that area.

Consider doing full body weight training because it is good for you and general health. To lose a bit more weight its all about finding a way to sustain a calorie deficit that works for you.

Agree on looking into full body. Also worth looking into body re-composition you are currently in a prime position of the holy grail of losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. If you enjoy cardio then great stick with it but if you are up for starting weights I would seriously recommend making the switch of focus.

Keep it simple and focus on the big movements with strict form e.g. Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift and Bent Over Rows a couple of session with a decent trainer should get you set up on those no problem.

Good luck and congrats on the achievements so far!

I agree with all the above but would add a tale of caution.
I absolutely loved lifting weights and it can certainly burn calories, probably quicker and easier than anything else.
However it made me so ravenously hungry than I couldn't control myself and I ended up putting weight (fat) on!
Not to put you off doing weights, but I've never heard anyone else talk about this so at least you can be prepared for it.
It's to do with your body trying to get the food in for energy, repairs, muscle building etc after weight training. For me it just goes out of control.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

Will be looking into joining a gym in the next month or so and will work with a personal trainer for a few weeks just go get me going!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom