1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob advice to buying LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by C-Nut, Sep 16, 2005.

1. C-Nut

C-Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very new to LCD TV shopping. Been reading around, but unable to find good advice. Wondering if you could make some suggestions or point me in the right direction.

Looking for a new HD ready flat panel TV. I've decided on LCD because of the risk of burn-in with plasmas, coz I would be using the display for FTA TV, DVDs, XBox, Games, and some surfing/computing.

It will be for my lounge so approximately 3.5m away.

What size should I get? Was looking at 40-42" initially, but these are quite expensive, and considering if 37" might be large enough? And which brands are good? I'm more interested in quality than price, will jsut save up for a bit longer - but which brands should I be looking at?

Thanks.

2. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi lcds are best viewed from a distance, so iwould not go higher than a 37, buy it off the web then if not happy u can change it.
    theres plenty of models out there, i prefere the lg, very, good with sports and sky, dont know about gaming though.

3. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Samsung seem to be the best VFM at the moment and in group tests are even beating the far more expensive Hitachi's & Panasonics.

It seems for once that more money doesn't always mean better quality.....

Reads some mags and see for yourself

4. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say 32"-37" will do the trick. Keep in mind that if you view non-HD (ie normal telly) the TV needs to 'stretch' the picture. Since its impossible to create a better picture out of thin air, this means that you get artifacts. The bigger the screen the bigger the artifacts, sitting further will hide these artifacts - unless of course you have eagle like vision.

Good quality TV's for your usage (which means good connectivity including PC use):

- LG 32LP1D : no know issues of any kind. About £1400
    - LG 32LX2R the non-bells&whistle, non freeview variant. About £1000, good value for money.

- Hitachi 32LD7200: Steer clear if buzzing noises could annoy you, about than half of the users report it buzzes mildly to substantially. Great otherwise. Goes for £1300 ish

- Samsung LE32R41B (or 51): has some issues with tearing images (apparently being adressed by their support). Sub £1000, probably the best value for money.