Noob - advice needed on LCD TVs

KingSizeSlims

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, although i often read the forums, this is my first post. I'd love some advice if anyone can help. I'm looking for a replacement for my 14 year old 20" projection TV and 15" CRT monitor and thought an LCD TV would kill two birds with one stone. I'd like something along the following lines:

19-23" (widesreen preferrably)
at least 700:1 contrast ratio
minimum 16ms response time
1280x1024 resolution (or thereabouts)
PIP and remote would be nice

After trawlling for hours through the internet i am none the wiser, so can anyone recommend a solution for me? :lease:

Also, is it possible to connect SCART/composite devices (DVD players, consoles, freeview boxes, etc) to a TFT monitor that only has DVI or PC Inputs?

Thanks very much in advance!!

pc world do a 19inch samsung syncmaster, in the shop it is £250 on there web site it is £370, check out the spec at samsungs site as pc world have it wrong.
it was first mentioned in a thread here and i bought one for the bedroom and have to say i am very impressed, it is sold as a monitor with built in tv but i use mine just as a tv, it has scart, svideo, composite, rf and vga connections.

I picked myself up a Samsung Sincmaster910mp from PC World at the weekend, I love it!

It has contrast of 700:1
8ms Response Time
1280 x 1024 resolution
A remote

but PIP is limited to between PC/Console and TV, rather than 2 channels, and unfortunately is is not widescreen, but...

....it was only £280 - GREAT!

ijd said:
pc world do a 19inch samsung syncmaster, in the shop it is £250 on there web site it is £370, check out the spec at samsungs site as pc world have it wrong.
it was first mentioned in a thread here and i bought one for the bedroom and have to say i am very impressed, it is sold as a monitor with built in tv but i use mine just as a tv, it has scart, svideo, composite, rf and vga connections.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Is that the 910MP?? Link for 910MP @ PC World

Looks pretty good, anyone else got an experience with LCDs of this size??

Yep, ^that's the one!

but ignore the 25ms listed on PC World's site, it is actually 8ms!

Thanks guys, this one looks the business!! Amazingly good value and such a low response time!!
Roughly how far away from it are u able to watch TV?? I'm slightly worried that 19" wont be big enough as i sometimes sit around 3 metres from the screen (for TV watching purposes).

mine is on the wall one side of the room and i am the opposite side between 3 & 4m i guess and is just right for the bedroom, not to big not to small but just right, it is about the same as a 21 crt, that it replaced

ijd said:
mine is on the wall one side of the room and i am the opposite side between 3 & 4m i guess and is just right for the bedroom, not to big not to small but just right, it is about the same as a 21 crt, that it replaced

Cheers for the advice mate!! Will prob head down to PC World tomoz and have a look.
U sure u dont work for Samsung?? ;) hehe

apparantly dixons also have it, (part of the same group)

Bought it from PC World, very pleased. Got my PC, PS2, a TV aerial and a Sky Video Sender hooked up to it and am impressed with the picture quality. The video sender's poor quality is even more evident than it used to be, but very watchable.
The only slight little tiny niggle i have is that the angle from which u view the screen from does have a larger effect on the picture than i thought it would, but hey it's minor and it only cost £280!! Good shout guys!!

Glad to help, i notice at close range i can see interference on my digi sender too, i keep moving it but lines come and go but sti;; watchable, dvd is absolutely spot on though.

Sorry to be a pain again, does anyone happen to know the Sky remote code for this LCD?? I've tried.......

0060, 0088, 037, 038, 060, 065, 066, 0800, 088, 100, 116, 118, 236, 244, 245, 292, 316, 318, 398, 476, 516, 584, 615, 646, 672, 672, 999

... and no luck.

I've got a very old remote, maybe that's why??

i have sky plus , although that should not make a difference, it does work the samsung but i cannot remember the code i used, i will try to find out for you though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom