1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

None sky+ DD 5.1?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Sick Note, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was just wondering if now that sky is broadcasting 5.1 sound on most of its movie channels whether any of the manufacturers would be adding a 5.1 digital output to the back of regular digiboxes or is sky just going to keep us by the short and curlies and demand we get sky+(which I have no interest in as I have an HS2) if we want to enjoy discrete surround?:mad:
    Read a while back that panasonic were thinking about such a box but haven´t heard anything since:(

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    To get a license to make digiboxes you have to agree to a certain specification with SKY, not only to make it easier to maintain a uniform OS for all makes and models but to keep the price in the range that SKY are willing to pay to mkae giving them away a viable option.
    SONY decided to add an optical port to make their digibox stand out feature wise but it was unsupported by SKY, the cost of SONY boxes was also higher than other makes so SONY were ditched as a supplier/or pulled out themselves (Not sure which).

The same would apply to a Pana digibox, first it would have to be supported by SKY and sold to SKY at the same price as Pana's non optical STB's. SKY would also be in a position were they couldn't include that STB in any "free" or subsidised deal as it would have a major feature other boxes did not have. Imagine the trouble when thousands of new customers demanded an optical box, this would make Panasonic too strong and weaken SKY's manipulation of the cost they buy STB's for.

There have long been rumours of an optical addon from PACE which would work on any digibox, nothing solid has ever come to light though. Bite the bullet and buy either a used SKY+ or a new one, strip out the HD for use in a PC and you'll still have a STB with an optical output and s-video (both work without the £10 sub).

3. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks Starburst thats roughly on the lines that I was thinking.
    You were dead right about Sky "manipulating " the prices I heard that before.:thumbsdow
    Found a couple of + boxes on ebay will give that a shot as it looks like hell will freeze over before sky allow normal boxes to output DD:mad: