1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

None active sub suggestions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bjcol, Jun 20, 2003.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I just set up my new (to me) Rotel RB976 amplifier last night with my Sony EP9ES. I'm really chuffed as it sounds infinately better than my Marantz stereo amp paired with my Yamaha 492 did. The Rotel amp has 6 channels, 1 of which I'm not using at the moment as I only have rears, centre and front speakers. What I was wondering is: are there subs (hopefully cheap!;) ) which are not powered by their own built in amplifier that I could connect to the unused channel on my power amp? Are these non-active? If anyone knows of any and could reply with some makes/models I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ben

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    For a walk in and buy it passive sub you could check out the local Car HiFi shop. You'll need a subwoofer and box. Don't get carried away and spend a lot of money , £100 max should be OK. Any more and you might as well buy an active Home theatre sub.

If the Rotel can handle a 4ohm load then you're OK otherwise you must ask for an 8ohm sub. Filtering isn't a problem when running off the LFE output.

HTH