Non UHD AV receiver

jontygee

Standard Member
Hi. I have just upgraded to Sky Q and with that comes some UHD channels that I would like to watch, particularly sports.

I currently run my Sky into my Bluray player to enable surround sound 5.1. My TV is UHD/4K ready but the Bluray player isn't, so as part of the sky Q set up process, Sky Q couldn't find a compatible UHD device.

The Sky engineer said I could get around this by plugging sky q straight into my TV, and then using an optical cable from the TV to the Bluray, this would then enable me to watch programmes in UHD whilst still having surround sound.

I tried it that way and whilst I could watch the UHD programme, I could not get surround sound at all.

Do I have to upgrade to a 4k AV receiver instead, or should the optical cable workaround suffice?? If I do need to upgrade, do i also need to purchase new speakers, or just a new AV receiver?

many thanks

John

unoduo

Do you have an all in one blu-ray/ home cinema system? It would make it easier for others to help if you could post the make & model and details of what tv you have.

If the system has an optical input then it should work but you might need to change some settings on your tv, sky box or Blu-ray system.

gibbsy

You will certainly get UHD from SkyQ by running HDMI direct into the TV. You can also get audio via optical out from the Sky box which will give you a maximum of Dolby Digital 5.1. However, as above you do need to tell us exactly what type of amplification system you are running, otherwise it's just guesswork on our part.

jontygee

Standard Member
Hi, sorry for not providing more info.

my TV is a Samsung UE40M/U6400. On the back of it, it has a Digital Audio out (optical) port, 2 HDMI ins (1 & 2) and an HDMI in 3 (ARC).

The Blu-ray is a Samsung AH64-05291B. On the back it has a Digital Audio In, 2 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out.

does that help?? I am not very tekkie so am not sure what cable to put where and which settings on which device would need changing??

many thanks

John

gibbsy

You have a 'one box' system, amp and player combined. I would connect the SkyQ box by digital optical to the Samsung amp and play all your TV audio through that. I've tried looking for a manual online but all the sites want me to sign up to download.

If you get any lip sync problems then you can use the audio options on the Sky box itself. That will give you a little bit more flexibility than having an optical connection from the TV.

unoduo

You’ll need to make sure the Sky Q box is outputting Dolby Digital & not Dolby Digital Plus to use with your sound system. Press Home on your Sky Q remote, then Settings, Setup, Audio Visual.

On the Samsung Home Cinema system you’ll need to press “Function” to select “D.IN“ input to use optical.

Extract from manual:

“OPTICAL : Connecting an External Digital Component
Digital signal components such as a Cable Box/Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box).

Connect the Digital Input (OPTICAL) on the product to the Digital Output of the external digital component.
Press the FUNCTION button to select D.IN input.

• The mode switches as follows : BD/DVD, D.IN, AUX, HDMI.INI HDMI.IN2, FM.

NOTE

To see video from your Cable Box/Satellite receiver, you must connect it's video output directly to a TV.
This system supports Digital sampling frequencies of 32 kHz of higher from external digital components.
This system supports only DTS and Dolby Digital audio, MPEG audio (bit stream) is not supported.”

Last edited:

jontygee

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for the replies. So I have attached the HDMI from Sky Q directly into the TV. I have then attached an optical cable from Sky Q to the blu-ray. I have then switched to D.IN. However, whilst I can hear sound in the surround sound speakers, there is nothing from the subwoofer and the sound is overpowered by the sound that is still coming out of the back of the TV, so it just sounds like an echo, the surround sound speakers aren't really adding anything??

Any ideas??

thanks

John

jontygee

Standard Member
TBH am thinking of just upgrading to a 4k UHD surround sound, the link below looks ok but am worried it might not be compatible with sky q as I am sure I have seen some post whereby sky q frequenzy is 1080i at 50hz and i cannot see on these specs anything to suggest it is compatible??

gibbsy

If you want to use 4K and have the full UHD subscription on SkyQ then you have to set the video output to UHD. You'll have no problem with connecting the Sky box to the Yamaha via HDMI.

unoduo

Hi, thanks for the replies. So I have attached the HDMI from Sky Q directly into the TV. I have then attached an optical cable from Sky Q to the blu-ray. I have then switched to D.IN. However, whilst I can hear sound in the surround sound speakers, there is nothing from the subwoofer and the sound is overpowered by the sound that is still coming out of the back of the TV, so it just sounds like an echo, the surround sound speakers aren't really adding anything??

Any ideas??

thanks

John
You’ll have to mute the sound on your tv & control the volume using your surround system.

If you want to connect the tv to your sound system via optical you’ll need to adjust some settings on your Samsung tv.

1) Select external speakers. Settings/Sound/Sound Output
2) Select Dolby Digital as digital output format. Settings/Sound/Expert/Digital Output Audio Format

Last edited:

jontygee

Standard Member
Hi

thanks for all your help, i have been using an optical cable but if just doesn't sound correct, so am going to bite the bullet and go for a sound bar, i don't think the size of my room justifies forking out a lot on a full surround sound system.

Just to recap, i have a PS4, Sky Q 2tb UHD box and my TV is a Samsung UE40M/U6400. On the back of it, it has a Digital Audio out (optical) port, 2 HDMI ins (1 & 2) and an HDMI in 3 (ARC).

I am thinking of purchasing this soundbar Sony HT-X8500 Soundbar review

It looks UHD compatible, my reservation is that there is only 1 HDMI in and out, so in my case how would i attached the sky Q and ps4 so all can be used in "surround sound".

thanks

DavidT

Connect the SkyQ and PS4 direct to the TV (HDMI 1 and 2) and connect the TV HDMI3(ARC) to the soundbar HDMI out.

jontygee

Standard Member
Great thanks, so another daft question. Does the sound bar need to be UHD compliant? If the Sky Q is connected directly to the TV, and the TV is UHD compliant then doesn't that mean I can watch programmes in UHD? Or will the sound bar also need to be UHD compliant. Sorry if this is a daft question, I just thought UHD was video only, not audio, so if video isn't running through the sound bar then I think it doesn't need to be UHD compliant????

Thanks again

dante01

Distinguished Member
Great thanks, so another daft question. Does the sound bar need to be UHD compliant? If the Sky Q is connected directly to the TV, and the TV is UHD compliant then doesn't that mean I can watch programmes in UHD? Or will the sound bar also need to be UHD compliant. Sorry if this is a daft question, I just thought UHD was video only, not audio, so if video isn't running through the sound bar then I think it doesn't need to be UHD compliant????

Thanks again

You'd not need the soundbar to be UHD capable or HDCP 2.2 compliant. not if connecting the source directly to the TV and if then using ARC to output the audio to the soundbar. You'd only be passing the audio through the TV and out to the soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom