1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-THX speakers and THX processing ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bboy-mass, Jan 30, 2003.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Guys,

I have a Denon AVC-A1SR and want to utilise the THX processing i.e. i want my £2500 worth from the amp.

Question:

Will I be compromising the sound by turning on THX5.1 mode or CINEMA THX mode if i dont have DI-pole/TRI-Pole rears. And does this apply to the Front/Centre channels as well???

Ive been told YES/NO in the past, so can someone please answer, and provide a reason for my own understanding.

R.

B-Boy Mass
    Birmingham

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone with an A1SR will correct me if I get this wrong, but here goes.

If you can turn off Timbre-Matching as an option when running THX5.1 or CINEMA THX you will get benefits from the post processing. AFAIK this is the only post-processing option that will affect the sound when using mono/bi-poles as LR Surrounds. Everything else should be fine.
    If it can't be disabled then it's a case of try it and hear what you think of the sound it produces compared to normal DD or DTS.

3. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon AVC-A1 SR with a full direct radiator setup (B&W 600 series). I always use THX processing simply because it sounds much more neutral dan dolby or dts without processing. The centre channel is clearer, the overall sound is more powerfull.

The above is my opinion. Maybe other people like the setting without THX better I don't know.

4. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,

THX speakers.
    If you ingnore the controlled verticle dispersion of the Front speakers and the diffuse dispersion of the rear speakers that the THX spec demands you'll find that in almost all other ways they are just the same as any other normal speaker.

They just match a certain performance level that the THX licence demands.

As far as THX processing on your amp goes, it really is down to wether it sounds better to you, THX post processing has just as much to offer non-THX speakers as has THX speakers.

Paul.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Paul, have to disagree with you there. Timbre matching is specifically designed to bring the frequency response of a di-pole more into line with that of a mono-pole. It may not sound natural if applied to direct radiators.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    The THX post processing on the A1SR can only be switched ON or OFF, you can´t select individual elements of it. The Denon does have its own Cinema Re-Equaliser which will tame bright soundtracks if you want to use this instead.

Best suggestion I can make is just try each mode out and see what you think of it.

THX Ultra2 Cinema mode works well with 5.1 soundtracks, bringing the surround backs into use but placing more emphasis on the normal left and right surrounds.

The Music mode uses the Surround Back channels more and also doesn´t trim the treble of the fronts so much (hardly at all actually).

Or you can just the normal THX 5.1, THX Surround EX modes etc etc:)

7. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,

Quote: EvilMudge
    "Timbre matching is specifically designed to bring the frequency response of a di-pole more into line with that of a mono-pole."

Actually Timbre matching is used to address the problems of not having enough speakers in the typical home cinema.

THX themselves state:
    "Timbre MatchingTM matches the tone of front speakers to the surround speakers, essential because a typical home system carries two surround speakers instead of the full array in a movie theatre."

Cheers,:)

Paul.

8. Joe Soap

Joe Soap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Irrespective of the technicalities, there are quite a few of us on the forum that have THX amplification but not THX speakers including myself.

It works very well in my case

9. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've been using THX post-processing with non-THX speakers and to be honest it doesn't sound that different from straight DD/DTS. I can't decide which I prefer so I'm just gonna leave THX on.

10. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, you are absolutely right, that's what THX say, although it makes no sense based on what I've read on the old THX site in the past. Di-poles are supposed to emulate the multi-speaker rear array of a cinema, but in going about this they suffer from reduced bass. Timbre matching was supposed to boost the low frequencies or something (as the actual methods are proprietary) so that the response from the di-poles was the same as the fronts:confused: :confused: :confused:
    Now they're saying they're altering the sound of the fronts to compensate for the sound of the rears?
    Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

11. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Evilmudge,

Timbre matching is designed to re-address the sound balance of only the surrounds. (from that of large speaker arrays all around in movie theaters to just a couple of speakers in the home environment).

The use of di-poles was an altogether seperate idea to attempt to get some of the feeling of being totally surrounded back into the home cinema enivironment (while just using a couple of speaker enclosures).

Low Bass on Dipoles:
    While it is true that a speaker box working in Di-pole fashion will have less bass than a comparible monopole/Bipole alternative, it is up to the speaker manufacturers to address this factor when designing the speaker (to end with a nice flat usable frequency range), it's not up to the THX post processing to make allowances for poor speaker design, that would be silly.

Back to the subject of the thread,
    I have used THX processing with and without Dipole surrounds over time and can confirm it can sound great with both types.

Cheers,

Paul. :)

12. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, I agree with you, but the THX website doesn't make sense anymore. I think we need a seperate thread.

13. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've tried THX processing on quite alot of my dvds and have found that although in general it brings the high frequencies down (makes the soundtrack less bright), in my opinion, it seems to take something away from the overall sound therefore dulls it soumewhat. I've also noticed that with THX processing on, the effects steering from the surround speakers seems less localized (you can't pin-point where the sound is coming from).

I haven't found a single case where having THX processing on, makes the movie sound better. Just my opinion of course.:)