Non-techie battling dark screen

SJM21

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a SAMSUNG - UE43RU7470UXXU 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV which is so dark in nighttime scenes that I cannot see hardly anything. I am not technically savvy, but have tried everything I could with no luck. I was hoping that someone a bit more techie might be able to tell me where I am going wrong. Thank you in advance.

SJ

The problem is probably that Samsung uses something called global dimming on these sets and during dark scenes it can be very aggressive and overly darken the picture .
The only way to overcome this is to go into the service menu and make adjustments .
I think if you search disable global dimming you should find instructions but be careful in the service menu not to mess with any other adjustments as it can brick your TV .
Good luck

It's more than likely due to the panel being an IPS one which has a reputation of a dark HDR PQ. Plus not true 10 bit either.
Same model is the 7400 as the 7470 as I believe the latter was exclusive to Curry's.

Samsung has a habit of playing about with panel types with the 43" and different markets..

The problem is probably that Samsung uses something called global dimming on these sets and during dark scenes it can be very aggressive and overly darken the picture .
The only way to overcome this is to go into the service menu and make adjustments .
I think if you search disable global dimming you should find instructions but be careful in the service menu not to mess with any other adjustments as it can brick your TV .
Good luck
Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated.

It's more than likely due to the panel being an IPS one which has a reputation of a dark HDR PQ. Plus not true 10 bit either.
Same model is the 7400 as the 7470 as I believe the latter was exclusive to Curry's.

Samsung has a habit of playing about with panel types with the 43" and different markets..
Thank you for your reply. I did buy from Curry's. I'm presuming there is little I can do in this case.

Most Samsung entry level TVs are not great for HDR brightness due to their backlight system regardless of VA or IPS panel but both type use global dimming which will darken already dark scenes regardless of it being HDR or SDR . You can only defeat that by getting into the service menu unfortunately .

Most Samsung entry level TVs are not great for HDR brightness due to their backlight system regardless of VA or IPS panel but both type use global dimming which will darken already dark scenes regardless of it being HDR or SDR . You can only defeat that by getting into the service menu unfortunately .
Thank you for your reply. That sounds risky for someone as untechie as I am. I think I will just have to replace or live with it. I appreciate your input.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom