1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non Tech Literate Multiroom Q

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dbloor, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im about to take the plunge and compromise my News International moral stance with a Sky connection. I am not massively techie so please be patient.
    (Well I have waited 14 years so Rupes prob got the message).

I want a box in the living room and a box in the bedroom.

I do not fancy having either plugged into the phone despite my contractual obligation.
    A thorough Google suggests this is possible with one box but that they are medievel on folks asses regarding the multiroom.

My options are as follows - I think:

1) Buy the full on official Sky multiroom with all boxes connected to phone.
    2) Buy one Sky install and bung engineer 50 quid to run second connection from LNB to second room. Buy box on ebay for this.
    3) Buy regular Sky connection and 'Magic Eye' thingy that Ive Googled and have basic grasp of.

I only really want free channels in the bedroom, I dont care after a year about getting the full package.

Option 2 is my preferred choice.
    This assumes I can get free to sat channels with a second card. I think Sky will sell me one but their websites T&C's is a bit vague. Will they let me have it if I have a premium package at the same address? Do I even need a card for free to sat or will any box I buy give me the free stuff out of the packaging?

Finally any more thoughts most welcome.
    Any magic eye users out there??

Cheers

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    They will let you have a freesat card, so you should get one, then my preference would be to do the following:

Get an s-video output sky box for the main room, bung the box that comes with your install in the bedroom, connect main room through RGB scart and run s-video and stereo audio upstairs aswell as an RF feed (and an LNB feed for freesat) This will give you better than RF picture, and stereo sound, with all subscribed channels through a Sky remote control when you are watching upstairs and not using telly downstairs, and a decent freesat feed upstairs to boot for when someone argues over whose the remote is! The only problem I can see then is that the remote will operate both boxes, I've thought of this problem whilst writing this and am trying to think of a solution, apart from having the magic eye located somewhere where you have to try hard to point the remote at it - aargh!

Sounds like a lot of hassle, until you try and get used to not having stereo sound on movie channels when you've gone upstairs!! You could of course do the same without the freesat box if you don't need two tuners - maybe get a freeview box instead if your reception is OK, then have best of both worlds :)

All a bit confusing innit, I currently have my Sky+ box feeding three other rooms, two off RF2 and one off RF1 as I am getting multiroom for my AV amp, aargh, the wiring!!

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah, he's been lieing awake at night, thinking "When is dbloor going to buy a Sky+ box - my life won't be complete without it" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  5. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam

Great site

Thank you

d

PS Nick - thank you too. I had no idea Rupe actually was lying awake at night. Eeek. How do you know? Are you pals or something?