Non solar powered outdoor lights

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
My new house is almost ready and I'm looking some outdoor lighting I can attach to my fence. Its just over 100ft long and I want a light every 8ft or so. I've run armoured cable outside, switched from a wall light inside.

Every time I find something suitable its either solar powered or its in USA...anything like or similar to below from the UK is what I'm after :)

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Ah, that's more like it, thanks!

Is it easy enough to connect say 10 or 12 together off an interior wall light switch or would I need some sort of transformer?

Soup - check out my DIY thread, pg4 I have out door lights both on my wall above Bi-Folds and built into deck. They are controlled separately from the same 3 gang light switch inside the house.

The ones above the bi-folds are wraggled into the wall and go to the light switch.

The deck lights all go back to a sealed, weatherproof, outdoor box (I forgot the name of it). This then has a connection that goes into the house and connects to the light switch.

One thing I will add is the LED lights in the deck have built in transformers, so I am not sure how that works for you and the bulkheads you are maybe thinking about.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Soup - check out my DIY thread, pg4 I have out door lights both on my wall above Bi-Folds and built into deck. They are controlled separately from the same 3 gang light switch inside the house.

The ones above the bi-folds are wraggled into the wall and go to the light switch.

The deck lights all go back to a sealed, weatherproof, outdoor box (I forgot the name of it). This then has a connection that goes into the house and connects to the light switch.

One thing I will add is the LED lights in the deck have built in transformers, so I am not sure how that works for you and the bulkheads you are maybe thinking about.
cheers for that, will take a peek :)

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Ah, that's more like it, thanks!

Is it easy enough to connect say 10 or 12 together off an interior wall light switch or would I need some sort of transformer?
I'm confused
You will struggle to get armored cable into them so maybe outdoor junction boxes and tube up to each light. As for feeding them you will need a fused spur off the ring main or even a dedicated supply from your main consumer board.
You can't run them off a light switch.

I'm confused
You will struggle to get armored cable into them so maybe outdoor junction boxes and tube up to each light. As for feeding them you will need a fused spur off the ring main or even a dedicated supply from your main consumer board.
You can't run them off a light switch.
I am no electrician so I bow to your superior knowledge. We have a 14 LED all-built-in deck lights so they include the transformer and the driver included in them, these are then all in a junction box under the decking. This then has an armored cable going from the junction box to the light switch.

Now we have the electrics for the kitchen, the summer room and the garden all running of an additional RCD consumer unit that is connected to the main consumer unit.

Hope that all makes sense as I am recalling this all from memory.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
I am no electrician so I bow to your superior knowledge. We have a 14 LED all-built-in deck lights so they include the transformer and the driver included in them, these are then all in a junction box under the decking. This then has an armored cable going from the junction box to the light switch.

Now we have the electrics for the kitchen, the summer room and the garden all running of an additional RCD consumer unit that is connected to the main consumer unit.

Hope that all makes sense as I am recalling this all from memory.
So is the power coming from the light switch? or is it just being used as a switch.
Normally a light switch would only have a switch live cable.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
LOL! not a scooby-doo :) I turn on the lights and hey-presto they work :)

So that is either a live cable somewhere, voodoo or just good old fashioned magic!!!! :)
WITCHCRAFT !!!

BURN HIM

Yeah I wasn't saying that you can't have a switch :)

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Good stuff, must have a chat with the electrician to see if its on the lights circuit or if its actually mains electric which is activated at the light switch...

IronGiant

I've got one of these in my kitchen and my S-I-L has them in her garden: Outdoor Double Wall Lantern | Dunelm also available in black.

I've got LED GU10s in mine but if you wanted to fit halogens you'd need to check whether you can mount them on a "flammable" surface.

eireann10

what type of light have in mind?

Quite a few catalogues laying around here i could flick through and give you some suggestions.

i know its a matter of opinion but personally i detest those up / down lights.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Open to suggestions on style. The one in IG link can be mounted as an uplight/downlight but also side to side - that might be cool....

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Open to suggestions on style. The one in IG link can be mounted as an uplight/downlight but also side to side - that might be cool....
Not sure on that, they are very bright head on. Could end up being annoying.

IronGiant

The other point to note is you don't have to put two bulbs in, or bulbs of equal brightness. So you can use them as uplighters or downlighters or mix and match bulb power for differing effects. eg powerful light down and mood light above...

eireann10

is that pic above, the actual place where the lights are going?

what will the 100 ft of fence be lighting?

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
is that pic above, the actual place where the lights are going?

what will the 100 ft of fence be lighting?
no, that's just an example of an outdoor light - will add a pic of fence later (if it stops pouring with rain that is!)

Firstly you can not attach cable to a fence and stay within BS7671 and the building regs, it's not a permanent structure. Secondly, see first point.

Moot point, but here goes....there's nothing wrong with selecting an existing lighting circuit to spur off assuming:-

1) Earthing and bonding is ok
2) the circuit you are spurring off is RCD protected and capable of supplying the extra load
3) you check Zs etc at every lighting point with a calibrated MFT
4) You can sign off the certificates you need to stay within the law, or get building control under part P to do so.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett