• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Question Non-Retina i7 4GB RAM vs i5 8GB RAM

i7 4GB RAM or i5 8GB RAM for Graphic Design?

• i7 4GB RAM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i5 8GB RAM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

milovanstevan

Novice Member
Hey there, I've recently decided to move to Apple products and I have a small dilemma. I was looking to buy a non-retina MacBook Pro since I do not have a lot of cash available. Most Macs I saw that fit my budget had either i7 with 4GB of RAM or i5 with 8GB of RAM. I used a laptop that had an i7 with 4GB of RAM and from my experience it wasn't so bad. I thought about upgrading an i7 with more RAM but I want a good machine ASAP since I am a graphic designer that works on the go mostly, plus the cash amount I currently have (buying a decent looking laptop with good battery will use all of my money). I use programs like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and such, but I was planning to use the Sketch app as well. What do you guys think I should buy?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
There are several ranges of processors involved so it depends on the exact models. If we're talking about a five year old i3-3210M vs. a seven year old i7-620M for example then the i5 may even be faster.

Generally speaking only the QM suffix i7s in some of the 15" and 17" models are going to be a large improvement in power. For anything else I'd prioritise newer machines and more memory.

MacrosTheBlack

You're a graphic designer using a bunch of graphics apps. IMO you definitely need the retina screen if you've moving to a Mac. Certainly worth stretching your budget too and might be some deals around and price reductions on older models with a new revision of Kaby lake processors just announced across the MacBook range.

If your budget just won't stretch, then you might be better off staying with a Windows laptop. More bang for your buck.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom