1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non Regional DVD plays B+W on all systems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mugi, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My girlfriend just bought "The Dead Zone" on DVD and it is non-regional, or says so on the box - from HMV.

Although I haven't tried it on my system, it plays in B+W on both her cheapo DVD Player and her brother's PS2.
    Both of them have Wharfedale TV's.

Last night I happened to have a Japanese region 2 NTSC disc with me and when I tried this on her player it also played in B+W.

Are non-regional DVD@s NTSC therefore? And is it her TV that's scuppering the colour?

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Region Free dvds can be either NTSC or PAL. Sounds like the TV´s can´t display an NTSC signal properly, which is why its in black & white.

3. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase.
    That's a touch annoying then that they sold it to her in HMV but I guess these days most TV's are NTSC.

Looks like I'll have to lend her my convertor box... since she's had real problems finding the Dead Zone until seeing it that day.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On play's site it list the R2 dead zone as NTSC as a warning at the bottom

5. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I searched the box up and down for clues and found nothing indicating NTSC but that's definitely what the problem is.

I guess she'll just have to get her money back and get the VHS instead. Can't be depriving me of my N64 play everytime she needs my convertor :)

6. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mugi,

This is a long shot but...
    On some DVD-players you can specify that NTSC must be output as pseudo-PAL (I think it's called).
    Being a cheapo player it probably won't have this option, but it's worth taking a look in the menus anyway.

- Tom -

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    psuedo-PAL is PAL-50 as opposed to PAL-60 (or is that the other way round?) - it converts to 425 lines (or whatever it is) but doesn't convert the refresh rate. I though it was the 50hz refresh rate that the tvs didn't like.

could be (probably) am wrong though

8. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tom - I confess I didn't think to look for any setup options.

This player redefines cheap though - she bought if from a laarge supermarket for £150 and it included 40 DVD's.... most of which I've never heard of, but there are a couple of familiar ones.

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that'll be T**cos then :devil:

Get the disks on ebay and get some dosh for the dust gathering collection - you'll never watch 'emas they say "every little helps"

:D

10. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    graham,

found on http://www.homecinemachoice.com

But as I said, long shot...

- Tom -

11. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Safelyaways actually :)

She'll hang onto them - there's Arlington Road to name in there but the rest are two-per-disc early flicks by actors you might just have heard of now.

She's easily amused and is wading through them a couple per week.

12. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    sometime on the cheaper dvd player
    the mode is set to auto
    on the remote their is a button (p/n) which will go through the modes with you

press it and it will take you from ntsc- pal-auto

make sure the player is in pal mode

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Its the other way round. PAL50 is true PAL. PAL60 is the result of partial conversion of an NTSC signal to PAL. The line rate (525 lines) and field rate (60hz) of NTSC are left unchanged, but the colour carrier is converted from NTSC to PAL.

TVs may dislike either the line and refresh rates of NTSC or just the colour system. If you get a stable, watchable, but B&W picture from an NTSC disc, then the TV is happy with the line and refresh rates, but can't cope with the colour carrier. Set your DVD player to output PAL rather than, say "Auto" and this will, for alll but a very few TVs, solve the problem fully.