Non region-modded playes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KraGorn, Oct 10, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm looking at a Pioneer 757 or Denon 2900 BUT I don't want it messed with my third-party MR mods ... I'm damned if I can find anywhere to get one, everyone seems to insist on flogging hacked boxes, which as far as the 2900 seems to destroy it as far as PAL prog. PQ is concerned (from what I've read, not auditioned yet).

Can someone suggest a source for un-hacked players? PQ is number 1 priority, MR isn't a requirement.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested in a (unmodded) Region 1-only player, only place I've seen is JDB (or similar name) that sell 110V, but unfortunately they're modded :(

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    For a un-alterd DVD player try here there should be a brach near you, and haggel on the price.;)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Garrett ... :eek:, not exactly cheap, it'd need a LOT of haggling to match some of the internet sellers, with the added hassle of getting to one of their stores. :(

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    Why not go the show in Manchester next week there should be some offers there. And there are 3 or 4 shops in Manchester that deal in DVD,s.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    There is a site I was looking at the other week and they do un-chiped, Chiped and macro removed models but I cannot remember it. But I just thought that AV-Land have a shop and I think they do the chiping over the shop if you get in touch with them I can see no reason why they cannot do you one un-chipped mabe a bit cheaper as there in no extra work involved. Tel 024 7622 8322 and http://www.avland.co.uk/dvd/index.htm

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Why worry.. its only the denons which can't seem to do MR properly.. never had any issues with any of the pre-chipped players I have bought. They are very reliable.. and if u buy it pre-chipped its covered by the warranty with the shop.. why not try amazon for example.

Other option is buy a player like the Arcam is has the MR built in to the chipset (requires no fiddling) and so can be multi-region or region 2 as u see fit.

Matt

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well the 2900 IS a Denon. ;)

Garrett: AV-Land is one place I did check, didn't think to try asking if they provide un-molested devices. :)

9. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

when you say that an arcam player has the multi-region built into the chip-set, does that mean that you have to choose one or the other when you buy it, or can you continually switch?

Also, I am a little confused about players that support both PAL and NTSC progressive scan. If a manufacturer makes a player that does both kinds of ps then I assume this is all built in from the beginning. But, if they are not allowed to officially sell MR DVD players, then surely they are selling products where some of the key features are not always available? Are they relying on people buying players that have been made MR?

Are there any manufacturers that sell a UK (region 2) DVD player that only does PAL ps?

I accept that it may be more costly for them to produce a batch of players that only do PAL and a batch that only do NTSC, in which case they could justify the fact that when they sell a UK DVD player, officially the NTSC ps should not be used.

I also accept that it probably makes good business sense to make a player that does both PAL and NTSC ps, as in reality loads of people go for MR players... afterall, that is the topic of this thread, not being able to find an un-modded player :)

If anyone could clear up these issues I would be grateful, cheers,

Gav

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    I think they make most of that part of the players the same for cost effectiveness than at the last minute fix the regions to where they are to be distributed. They could maybe coud flash the chips, as I was told they have a DVD that can unlock regions.

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Gavin,

Don't forget that Region 2 covers PAL (Europe) and NTSC (Japan) countries - therefore R2 players have to be able to handle both formats. Which is nice...;)

Steve

12. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  14. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a region free 2900 from AVland and it is excellent. As far as I can tell it has not had the hardware altered but has a Denon supplied Firmware update applied to it by the vendors. This does not affect the functionality of the player at all but allows you to play just about any type of disc you can think of.

I dont understand the comment about Denons not playing discs if they have been multi regioned.

Rog

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have few R1 DVDs and I read all sorts of problems people have with modded players, especially Denon 2900s .. there are several such threads on here for example.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well dont buy a denon then its simple! an HK DVD25 is just as good costs less and does everything you need! if you are that bothered by the mod dont buy a denon!

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    I'm inclined to agree. I have had, for a few years now, a modded Pioneer 737. And it's just fine. I'm sure it's exactly the same as an unmodded one - except of course that it plays pretty much everything.

I do recall reading of some problems with modded Denons - and afaik, such problems are exclusive to that one item.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is it just as good?

From reading this article on hometheaterhifi it's clear that there's a vast difference in quality of "progressive scan" players, just because a player does "PS" doesn't appear to mean it's worth buying ... that's the only review I have to go on, they mention the Denon, not the HK.

19. richieb1971

richieb1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to add that there is no DVD player in the world that is exclusively NTSC or PAL (unless you count the NTSC Playstation 2's). Japan and Europe share the same region only because of the language barriers, it has more to do with saving a region code number which I believe goes from 0-9. UK R2 players are not NTSC/PAL compatible for the reason of Japanese compatibility, they are compatible with both TV formats because DVD players are designed that way. It is only region coding which stops players playing NTSC or PAL discs.

Some region zero discs in the UK are NTSC, like Battle Royale. Which are made like that to be progressive scan (before PAL progressive scan became more wide spread). Not all official UK discs are PAL, surprisingly. It also allowed USA people to buy the movie as it was never officially released in the USA.

As for PS. If you remember rightly, PS only became wide spread on NTSC about 3 years ago when HDTV came out in the States. When you say stuff about UK R2 players having the function but not being able to officially use it, its because those players were simply R1 players that were changed to R2 players, the 110v power is converted to 220v and a few Euro language manuals are thrown in the box and a few badges, decals changed.. and voila, you have a r2 player sold for the Euro market.

Denon and Pioneer market all their products this way, to save money and time.

20. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kragorn, the secrets report is a very good technical look at players from an NTSC Prog scan point of view. THe Denon 2900 came out very well with a few points lost for its inability to recognise some flags on NTSC discs. If you do a search on the forum you will find a huge amount of discussion on this.

Basically the firmware modified UK 2900 plays all regions and RCE. If you are connecting it to a PS display and play a handfull of R1 DVDs you may notice some on screen abberations in a few Scenes on these 5 or 6 DVDs. They are mainly Pixar/Disney titles.

As far as I can tell you need to be handy with the pause button and get nice and close to the screen to see them.

So if you have a large screen, use PS and intend to watch these DVDs the 2900 may not be the gadget for you.

Otherwise it is a fantastic bit of kit. I dont use PS and havent got any of these DVDs so its not a problem.

Rog

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Rog, I have read several 2900 threads and have been concerned about reports of freezing on modded versions.

I do intend to use PS into a Panny AE300 .. and whatever comes after it ;) .. I have few R1 DVDs and don't intend to start collecting many, which is why I would be happy with an R2-only device if that meant being immune from player glitches.