1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-package surround speaker set up Qs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Barnetto, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone provide me with simple newbie advice. I am thinking of getting myself an AV amp (maybe Pioneer C502) but was wondering to what extent I might get away without buying a speaker package. Does anyone have any comments they could share on the following:
    1) I can use the speaker on my Sharp LCD GA3 as the centre speaker
    2) I have some nice Tannoy stereo speakers I could use for the front L & R
    3) Presumably I could just add some rear surround speakers easily enough?

Apart from general comments on the above:
    a) Is it possible to wire the Tannoy front speakers to both AV amp and my Hifi amp at the same time so that I can still use them for CD playback when not in use for TV?
    b) would I be missing out by not having a subwoofer? Would there be any point adding a subwoofer if all the speakers I use provide bass anyway?

If the above all sounds shockingly numpty, please someone put me right!!

Thanks in advance.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Barnetto,

The reason your front three speakers should sound the same is for when sounds pan across the front of the screen - the same object will change sound as it moves from left to front to right.

As a good starting point do a search for the Yamaha AV50 pack from Unbeatable - full size amp and 5.1 speakers for £170. Alternatively the Canton CD1 package (also 5.1 but no amp) is about £200 from germany will be much better quality speakers (again try a search as there's loads of info here already).

Not sure about wiring the fronts to an AV amp and hifi amp - it's been asked before and I think is a very bad thing to do - but I'm not sure about that!

With the price of the AV50 pack it's worth starting there and then buying Canton's individually from germany...then upgrade the amp in a couple of years time and you're on the slippery slope to upgraditis like the rest of us!

Good luck and good hunting!