Non-Openreach Modem for Infinity?

surfymark

So I had my Infinity installed about a month ago.

I have had huge problems with it cutting out and when it is connected it was at a terrible speed (like 0.11mbps).

However it seems to have settled down a little now. I am now getting about 20mbps which is ok I guess (I was promised 28 but still a lot better than the 2.5 I used to get!)

I do still get dropouts though. Probably once every few days. I have discovered that rebooting the modem brings it back fine. I shouldn't need to reboot the modem though (my previous linksys ADSL router needed a reboot perhaps once a year!).

So is there a non-Openreach modem I can purchase to replace it with?

I am on the third modem since I had it installed so I suspect the modems are just rubbish!

cheers
Mark

m0t0k0

Infinity if I'm not mistaken comes with a modem and router separate. So are you sure you are resetting the modem not the router?

What is dropping out you wireless connection between the PC and router or you actual connection to the internet with the modem?

If its just the router then and cable router will work you just connect it to the existing modem via a network patch cable.

surfymark

Yes it does. It comes with a separate modem and a Home Hub 3.

I have already replaced the HH3 with my Apple Time Capsule as many of my devices had real difficulty connecting to the HH3 via wireless.

It is the modem that is the issue. As the light on the TC starts flashing Orange (it is solid Green in normal operation) plus I can still get to the TC fine, it just reports that there is an issue.

If I reboot the TC, the same thing happens. However rebooting the modem generally means the issue goes away and I get internet again.

If I find the internet speed seems to be slow, then a reboot of the modem seems to solve this too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find the modem is a cheapy job so I just wondered if I could spend a bit of money to get a more reliable connection.

cheers
Mark

beerhunter

Novice Member
Rather than replacing the modem on the off-chance that it will fix the problem, especially as three modems so far appear not to have done so, why not call BT?

surfymark

Yep already done this. 6 callouts in about 4 weeks. Each time, they fiddle with something in either the cabinet or the exchange. They have changed equipment in the cabinet twice, plus the 3 new modems.

It is always working fine when they leave but I then get all sorts of dropouts and speed drops for about the next 3 days or so then it goes to being fairly stable again with "only" a dropout every couple of days or so.

Before this I was with Sky and although I was only getting about 2.5mbps, I maybe experienced 3 dropouts in the two years. Plus my speed was very consistent. Seems like a real step backwards!

M

surfymark

That is the one. Mine says 2B on the bottom (like the person who commented).

It does get pretty hot and the engineer said that it would. It is currently sat on a solid surface (the top of a beer fridge and I can't really see how mounting it on the wall would make much difference (it would still have a solid surface under it near to the underside vents).

Maybe I should try suspending it? :)

M

m0t0k0

keep bugging BT they are not proving you with the service your paying for. Write a letter to head office should get you some attention

deathtrap3000

Novice Member
You sure its the modem?
Have you tried your HH3 to rule out the possibility of it being your time machine?
Seems like it could be a setup problem at your end as any line problems would have been ruled out when the engineers visited.

hal8000

Novice Member
The VDSL modem from BT needs to be mounted vertically, not flat,
with Openreach logo horizontal on the wall.
The air vents allow just enough cooling if mounted vertical, laying flat it may overheat to the point where the vdsl chipset overheats.
Not sure what would happen if it overheats, it could drop your connection, or maybe just slow the speed so I'd hang it on the wall and see if that helps.

deathtrap3000

Novice Member
The air vents allow just enough cooling if mounted vertical, laying flat it may overheat to the point where the vdsl chipset overheats.
Not sure what would happen if it overheats, it could drop your connection, or maybe just slow the speed so I'd hang it on the wall and see if that helps.
It doesnt need to be mounted. Its mainly to stop people from putting the homehubs on top or placing it next to a radiator - both of which are a common occurrence and the cause of many callouts.
The old modems suffered an overheating defect and the consequences of that were disconnections and dropouts. When the dslam sees the connection drop out the dlm kicks in and drops the line rate down to see if it can get the connection back with a slower speed.
Replaced a faulty one earlier and their line rate was less than 6mbps. Reset the line and then they were back up to 40mbps.

wormvortex

hal8000 said:

Absolute rubbish. It does not need to be wall mounted at all. Maybe there's a fault on the copper line causing the dropouts and the engineers have just overlooked this each time.

buckle247

Novice Member
As above. If 3 modems and 2 shifts in the cab haven't solved the problem, buying a 4th modem isn't going to solve it IMO.
Most likely a fault on the line somewhere.

So long as the modem isn't on carpet its fine. Either wall mounted, or standing on a table/desk is fine. Carpet is just the big no-no as it blocks the vents

surfymark

Hi there and thanks for all the comments.

My modem is now suspended and is nowhere near any kind of heat source.

I did find some replacement modems but there were expensive and apparently it is difficult to retrieve the exact settings from the Openreach modem.

My connection ran nice and smoothly yesterday but disconnected at some point over night. I rebooted everything this morning and got it back but got an angry call this morning from the wife to say it was down again by 9am (after I had left for work).

Called BT again and they seem to have got it up again but the speeds are all over the place. I am downloading something currently so can see that it is going up to about 2.6MB/s (megabytes) and then right down to about 4kB/s and back up again in the space of a couple of minutes continously.

Is there something I can run on my Macbook Pro that will show a history of the speed (very roughly) preferably in graph type format? My downloading tool will only show the last few minutes and doesn't keep the history.

Ideally I would like something that I can just keep running to show how things have gone over the last few days or weeks.

I spoke last night just down the road from me so on the same exchange who upgraded to Infinity about the same time as me and their experience is very similar to mine. The local cabinets and exchange only upgraded very recently so maybe it takes some time for it to become stable?

cheers
Mark

nickp8

Novice Member

buckle247

Novice Member
I spoke last night just down the road from me so on the same exchange who upgraded to Infinity about the same time as me and their experience is very similar to mine.

Could be a faulty card in the cab then. Even if they have shifted you twice, it may have been to different ports but still on the same card.

surfymark

So when I got up this morning, the internet was down again. Rebooted all the boxes and it came back up and am now able to download at 2.9MB/s (faster than yesterday).

I just don't understand why the modem can't reconnect properly when I get these outages without me rebooting it.

Yesterday after BT had "switched it back on" I was getting a nice solid 2.6MB/s until about 2pm when it started going up and down again all over the place.

M

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom