Question Non Humax HD PVR suggestions

MrFraggle

In Memoriam
Reaction score
I currently have two Humax PVR's and both have annoying minor faults. One will freeze if left on but the TV is off, switching PVR off/on sorts that. The other will drop the sound and requires a full reset. My last PVR a HDR Fox T2 began to green screen. So perhaps the quality of Humax has gone down a notch or two. Hence the search for an alternative.

Any suggestions welcome not really looking to pay more than £100.

Thanks.

I don't think that there's much, if anything out there at your price point. The only other major manufacturer still making Freeview PVRs (and supporting them) seems to be Panasonic. There might be something in the secondhand market, but support could well be an issue.

Clem

Agree with Clem, only Panasonic seem to be an option, but not brand new at your price point. Only been using my new Panny HWT250EB a day, but seems good so far......but can't recommend it at this point as it is too early. I did see a really cheap basic HDD recorder in Tesco the other day, I can't remember the brand.....

Yes, there are alternatives.
The TalkTalk YouView recorder is a very reliable PVR made by Huawei. It is called a Huawei DN372t and you may find a new one on ebay for £70 or loads of secondhand ones. These work perfectly without a Talktalk account. I have had two of these in the kids bedrooms for over two years with no faults. If Internet connected they have Youview catchup services. Buy the latest model as above which has more RAM than the older model.
Another device is the BT DTR-T2100. This is made by Humax so you may not like that.
I have a Bush PVR in the Lounge. This is made by Vestel. This has been 100% reliable over 3 years.
There are newer Bush models available from Argos but I have no experience of these.
I would recommend the Huawei.
Happy to help if you need further advice.

What is the model number of the Bush please mate?

A Bush B320HDPVR This is an old model though and I would be wary of buying a secondhand one.
My recommendation is the Huawei. It's very reliable and quiet.

I have a Huawei too, although I'm not that impressed with it - I was expecting more. In particular, the startup time is really slow and SD picture quality poor (compared to a Sony TV or Vestel PVRs). It may be quite quiet, but it is noiser than the latest Vestel / Bush boxes. Not sure quite why, but as the Huawei has a plastic chassis, I think that is amplifying the HDD noise. If you want the catch up services, then this is a good option though (Vestel / Bush boxes realistically only have iPlayer and BBC news/sport apps). If you are a TalkTalk customer, you can buy these for £25.

Steer clear of the Bush B320PVR models - it is the newer DTR models that are better. Argos stock them (search for Bush Freeview) - in their infinite wisdom Argos now call recorders set top boxes! That said you can pick these up for under £50 refurbished on eBay (Hitachi HDR5T01 and HDR10T01 are the same).

Thanks, sorry for not seeing your post earlier.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom