Non HDR 4k TV for dark room dilema

ElMedicov

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well
Obviously as the title tells, Planning to buy a new 4K TV.
My usage scenario is not including HDR content neither gaming, watching over the air content nor streaming (except maybe through local network)
The TV will be mainly connected to desktop or laptop for watching movies or series and mainly in dark room, maybe to watch content through the TV own browser and YouTube
I have been reading and watching reviews for a while and been through the forum's buying guide tiers and my budget is not included even in starter tier (which is mainly based on HDR content as far as I understood)
I have been looking for the best TV of 55 inch (maybe more if the budget allows or discount appeared) for this usage scenario but a bit confused about the priorities in this case
1- I like the Hisense u7qf because of it's higher brightness of 400 nits and I know that it'll mostly has software issues
2- I Like TCL C725 for the same reason as Hisense knowing it has less brightness and maybe more probability with software issues than Hisense
3- I know that Samsung AU9000, AU8000 and Q60a are good choices because of their stable software but I don't like their edge LED , colors and dim brightness
4- I know that LG UP77, UP8000 are good choices because of their stable software and direct LED but I don't like their IPS panel and possible blooming , colors and dim brightness
5- I liked Philips PUS8536 and the smart features it has (moving the TV right or left without moving the Stand, keyboard in the back of the remote) but again the IPS ghost shows around as I saw mostly that model in 55 inch is mostly IPS or ADS
6- Sony x80j is priced very expensive for what it offers and this is why I excluded from my choices but I'm aware that it offers very good colors and ok brigtness but yet again 55 inch is in IPS panel.

So should I go for better colors, brightness (with VA panel) or go for a stable responsive software with worse colors and brightness ?
Thank you in advance.

Better colors is often more valuable for a user eg deeper blacks. but use a external device like Nvidia shield for the streaming side of things.

If you are not going to use HDR content there's no use going for the U7Q and you can go for a Samsung instead to get a better smart TV platform.
Make sure to read the panel table for Samsung models:

They are not the same TVs at different sizes.

Direct LED does not improve picture quality. Only FALD (which the U7Q will), but with SDR this is mostly redundant where non-FALD models be them direct or edge lit will do a good job.

Decide on VA vs IPS first.

Thank you very much for the response @Htfanboy
But you got me a bit more confused now :) as I was more into VA panel considering that mostly watching TV will be at night and in dark room, while IPS is as you highlighted better for colors.

Thank you very much for your response @Dodgexander
I had the impression that edge led is usually followed by bad screen uniformity and subsequent dirty screen effect, but if you say it has no effect on picture quality I do believe you.
Regarding VA or IPS , I have been so far into VA mainly because watching will be mainly in a dark room and I don't really need a wide viewing angle. and yes I saw that in previous posts here in the forums that Samsung and also LG has different type of panels in the same model with different sizes.
Regarding Hisense U7qF what attracted me mainly is the brightness, I though that FALD system it has will help in providing a better contrast and finally will be better choice for a dark room.
But as per your highlight that is better Samsung due to it's snappy Tizen system, I hope it wouldn't be much difference in regards to picture quality.

Yes, the Hisense with it's FALD system will help with blacks in a dark room. But blacks for SDR will already be good on a TV without a FALD system for SDR.

Edge vs Direct is not really a thing anymore. They can both have good and bad uniformity, it depends on TV to TV and even sample to sample.

In your situation you could consider the Hisense and if you do not get along with its smart system, buy a Roku instead. Or you could consider another brand like Samsung to avoid more problems with smart TV.

The difference between good and bad TVs now is with HDR, TV's are beyond displaying SDR to a high standard for some years now.

I really appreciate your response. that clears much things up in my brain. I have been through many of the old posts in this valuable forums but almost all what I saw was about HDR content issues, which made me make this post to can understand better and get things more clear for myself.
Thank you very much for the informative clear replies.

va panels have the deeper blacks vs ips panels. what is there to get confused about? are you confusing a tv vs a computer monitor purposes? i find people realy love the deeper blacks!

@Htfanboy Is just a way to speak ( you got me confused) yes I know the difference between VA panel and IPS panel. IPS panel offers deeper colors than VA but worse black plus blooming. basic I'm into VA panel because mostly I'll be watching in dark room and not willing to see much blooming and very grayish color instead of black.
Anyway is clear that in this range of TVs, differences are not very big, and I'll continue to look for VA panel TVs Like Samsung 55AU9000 or in case I find a good bargain of VA TV with a bigger size like 65 inch will be preferred.

You have to be careful what you read about panels online because much of what you read about IPS tech is from the computer monitor world where IPS is still said to be king.
This is because on computer monitors, people value viewing angles and motion blur very highly. In the computer world the battle has also been between TN type panels and IPS, and IPS has always won.

With the fairly recent addition of VA panels (late 2000's), and especially in the TV world they are a lot better than IPS. Viewing angles are bad, but not as bad as TN and colours are also as good as IPS.

I'm guessing you have been reading between differences between TN and IPS computer monitors. If you are led to think colours are better on IPS because they are certainly not better on IPS compared to VA. In fact, VA is better because it can show more colour closer to black.

Hope this makes sense.

Long story short; if you are viewing in a dark room, want good panel uniformity and good blacks go with a TV that uses a VA panel. The only time you need to think about IPS is if you want less motion blur or better viewing angles.

Thank you so much for the information and yes you helped me to have more accurate information , and if I had in mind IPS panel for maybe 10 % chance, now considering my usage scenario and what's required for a better viewing experience I'm 100% into VA panels>

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom