Non Freesat mode

andicole0

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a Foxsat HD and wanted to pick up some German channels for my wife and daughter in law. Put a second dish up to play with, leaving the Sky one alone, pointing at Astra 1H at 19.2 (I think anyway). However even in Manual tune mode I can't select a satellite it's fixed Astra on 28.8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andi.

Hi.
You don't say how you've connected the receiver to the second dish, or how you've aligned that.
If you've simply replaced the first one's connection, and the alignment is right, then a blind scan should find the channels.
The better way is to combine the two with a DiSeqC switch and you would then use the receiver's menu system to assign each dish to a switch setting, A or B, 1 or 2.
Freesat machines are made for Freesat, so imho a generic machine is better if you want more than that.

Andi,

Just to check - do you mean a Foxsat HD (no recording) or a Foxsat HDR (with hard-drive and recording capability)?

If indeed Foxsat HD then from what I can read in the manual (I don't know the box) then you should be able to connect several satellites in principle since the specifications say that it supports DiSEqC (but you will need a multiplexer since it only has one LNB input). But I am not an expert here and many others will be able to help better.

In case you mean Foxsat HDR, then it is possible to connect other satellites (I have it with Astra 28°E and Astra 19.2°E connected at the same time). However you need to access a secret menu to enable it to access other satellites than 28E. See here for a good "how to":
http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/DiSEqC

Thanks guys. The dish is separate from the existing Sky dish and has only been aligned manually using information from the web. It is a simple HD model. I need to check the alignment and the LNB before I go further.

Andi.

If I want to receive other channels using a DiSEqC setup on my Foxsat HDR how do I do it?

Is it better to go for an extra dish or a LNB on an extended arm?

What extra equipment do I need?

Any help appreciated.

Brian.

It is a simple HD model.
What does that refer to?:confused:
When you have the dish accurately aligned you could begin by connecting it to the receiver's Sat In 1 socket and running the menu option to tune in the channels.
If that worked you'd then be able to add a DiSeqC switch to feed from both satellite inputs.
A "multiplexer" is something quite different and doesn't come into it.
All this is much more complicated than using a generic satellite receiver that doesn't have separate "modes".

bwblackett:
If you're referring to other channels on other satellites, then you need an LNB for each satellite.
That can be on a separate dish like OP's, or you can have up to three or four on one dish - not the one that's for 28E.
You then feed the inputs from the LNBs into a DiSeqC switch, and connect that to the receiver.
You can do that with a Freesat machine, but it's not what they're meant for, and it seems to be too complicated imho.

Last edited:
All this is much more complicated than using a generic satellite receiver that doesn't have separate "modes".

You can do that with a Freesat machine, but it's not what they're meant for, and it seems to be too complicated imho.

It is not more complicated on a Freesat box, the basic setup is exactly the same as that for a generic. The only difference is that you have to access a hidden menu to setup the diseqc options, then select non freesat mode from a menu when you wish to use it. There is plenty of info on the forum on this, do a search.

It's all very easy and works well. You only need another receiver if you wish to watch & record from both modes at the same time or you wish to explore what an ethernet connection or emus can bring you. :D

You can always buy the generic afterwards if you wish, there really is no reason not to try the Foxsat if you already own one...

Both the Foxsat-HD and Foxsat-HDR support diseqc (multiple lnb's) and usals (motorised dish). It's simpler on the HD because you haven't the complication of two tuners and recording.

Using usals on a Foxsat-hdr comprimises twin tuner Freesat recording, clearly not a problem with the HD

http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/DiSEqC

http://foxsat.wikispaces.com/Setting+up+DiSEqC

There's no reason if you wish if you are using a Foxsat-Hd not to use it in non-freesat exclusively as apart from loss of the epg (neither do most generics) it will work near identically to a generic but with a more sensitive tuner than most. Of course it's no Dreambox

Last edited:
The only difference is that you have to access a hidden menu to setup the diseqc options, then select non freesat mode from a menu when you wish to use it.
That "seems to be too complicated imho".;)

That "seems to be too complicated imho".;)

Incapable of pressing 7 buttons in a row :rotfl:

ooer you must be your response needed more. (Can't be bothered to count)

Last edited:
Both the Foxsat-HD and Foxsat-HDR support ... usals (motorised dish). ...

Motorised dish support is limited though on the HDR, it cripples the dual tuner recorder to be a single tuner. I ended up using 3 LNB feeds, two for the HDR and one for a cheap generic. I see that the Freesat G2 rumours say motor support is a part of the actual spec, so we can have the advantage of a reliable* 7 day EPG with the flexibility of a large motorised dish.

* reliable so long as the broadcasters actually broadcast what they say they are !

Your typed response used at least 40 sequential keypresses in a row not including any CR at the end. :D

You made me count them after all :)

thereby proving RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE should be a doddle as the buttons are next to each other.

I've got a Foxsat HD and wanted to pick up some German channels for my wife and daughter in law. Put a second dish up to play with, leaving the Sky one alone,
Any help would be appreciated.

Here follows a couple of my posts to a previous thread Re: Alternative ways to watch F1 next year:-

Whilst waiting for your answer I took a quick look here: Satellite for caravans. (Satellite TV at home and abroad) and found how to "add non-freesat channels".

I followed all the steps and by scrolling to Logi’s second quoted figure (12188 to be exact) I located RTL and about six other channels. :clap:

German spoken on all of them but as the number is so close I am assuming that it is RTL Germany and not RTL Austria.

Intend to set up the dish again on Saturday during the one hour of pre-race chat just to make sure I’ve got it right.

Must get it right this season as I can’t afford to spend time P…ing about with it next year on some distant French caravan site!

Thanks anyway for your efforts.

Vin Blanc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aimed my spare dish at 19.2˚ East (Astra 1) today and was able to watch the F1 Singapore GP practice session on four separate channels (all in German).

On my Humax HDR they appeared as follows:-
Channel 5001……..RTL TV
Channel 5009……..RTL HB NDS
Channel 5010……..RTL HH SH
Channel 5011……..RTL FS

The advert breaks on all four channels appeared to occur at exactly the same time so nothing to be gained by switching channels between these four.

Although not possible to program a recording in advance, it was possible to press the "instant record" button on the remote then pop down the pub for an hour.

On return, replay from the start and zap through all the adverts!…………… Simples!

Thanks to all who helped me out.

Vin Blanc
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Gocha glt, and kevkbuk is right - like many men I have partial daltonism.:)

I just bought a Foxsat HDR and accidently tuned it to Astra 19,2 and received 300+ channels, in German , Polish, Spanish etc.

One way to do is is go to setup manual tune and then look for a transponder, move the dish until you get a signal and then tune all
channels.

What I did notice was that 2 channels, EinsFestival HD and WDR test B were showing HD.

One channel, WDR test B was testing in standard definition and then switched to HiDef 720P. I've since aligned it now at 28.2E and tuned Freesat. The HiDef channels of Freesat all use 1080i

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom