Non freesat mode

oldcro

What is this non freesat mode? I have a Humax HDR and have not seen or missed it during initial setup anything about such an option. What channels are available on it, and apart from not being listed in the EPG (presumably) can they be watched or recorded as normal?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
What is this non freesat mode? I have a Humax HDR and have not seen or missed it during initial setup anything about such an option. What channels are available on it, and apart from not being listed in the EPG (presumably) can they be watched or recorded as normal?

Non freesat mode turns your Freesat recorder into a generic free to air satellite receiver. This gives you access to hundreds of TV channels transmitted free from the same satellites. (Most are pretty rubbish). This includes one additional HD channel - Luxe HD (great pictures - boring content).

Channel lists

EuroBird 1 (28.5°E) - frequencies - KingOfSat

Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D (28,2°E) - frequencies - KingOfSat

Be aware that adding/moving/deleting non freesat channels deletes your freesat recording schedules so make a note of them before proceeding. Once you have added them and sorted them you can watch/record them though without affecting freesat with one proviso - if you go into non freesat mode with a freeview recording due to start in 15 min or less it won't start.

To get into freesat mode you first have to have some channels in there, you can do a transponder by transponder scan or simply scan for the lot (Make sure fta only is selected or you will get hundreds of encrypted channels you can't watch). To tune these Menu/Setup/Manual Tune The default is correct for a full channel search so choose search. When the search is completed you will be in non-freesat mode. (My STB returns 374 TV and 111 Radio stations - these include the ones already on the freesat epg) You now have a new menu option to allow you to swap modes. MENU / SETTINGS / STB MODE

You can't set a programme timer in non-freesat and have to start recording manually by pressing the red recording button. (A second press let's you specify a recording duration though

There's no epg only a now and next info for the channel you are watching

swedish cook

Thanks Graham, that's just what i wanted to know.:smashin:

Foreign language speakers especially those with children would be able to take most advantage (well they could if non-freesat mode worked well with a motorised dish - sucks currently). There's also the odd footie match you get, there was a recent England away game where Setanta had rights to show in UK, but by accessing a German free sports channel it was there for free.

scottie50

Graham... are you there?
Tried this with no success, all I get are "no channels found" have I got some settings wrong?
In manual tune I have these settings -
Tuner - Tuner1 (fixed)
Satellite - Freesat 28.2E
Transponder - user defined (ticked)
Network Search - enable
Scrambled Type - FTA
Channel Type - All

I'm in B46, surely there's something outthere:confused:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Graham... are you there?
Tried this with no success, all I get are "no channels found" have I got some settings wrong?
In manual tune I have these settings -
Tuner - Tuner1 (fixed)
Satellite - Freesat 28.2E
Transponder - user defined (ticked)
Network Search - enable
Scrambled Type - FTA
Channel Type - All

I'm in B46, surely there's something outthere:confused:

It sounds to me as if you don't have a Foxsat-hdr or Foxsat-HD, not familiar with the alba group stb's. I imagine you need to select transponder user defined and select the appropriate transponder.

scottie50

HTML:
It sounds to me as if you don't have a Foxsat-hdr or Foxsat-HD, not familiar with the alba group stb's. I imagine you need to select transponder user defined and select the appropriate transponder.

Sorry Graham, obviously didn't make it clear, this is the Humax Foxsat HDR. Only one cable connected at the moment, would that make a difference?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
HTML:

Sorry Graham, obviously didn't make it clear, this is the Humax Foxsat HDR. Only one cable connected at the moment, would that make a difference?

One cable should be fine - (assuming you have the short link cable in). It's the transponder type that threw me. I have V02 firmware and the only option for transponder is All or a list of all transponders available at 28.2/28.5 E so you scan all of them or just one at a time (with an option to add your own at the end of the list). If you have a new box it's possible that it's slightly different on V03 firmware. May be it's possible to add ITV HD's parameters using your user defined option.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Asked around, V03 is the same as the rest. Think the tick you refer to is the up arrow you get after searching just one transponder. It's odd because the first time you go into manual tune the all option is the default.

Night Watchman

Standard Member
Have V03 and to experiment I tried to tune in 11428H 27500 2/3 using user defined option in Non-Freesat mode manual tune. No other options are available so it is not possible to enter ITV HDs parameters (SID or V/A PIDs) with this newer software. The manual tune menu always comes up with the defaults first. Even tried doing the tuning using the hidden menu option (RGYBGYB) but with the same result. Would have been a nice option though.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Have V03 and to experiment I tried to tune in 11428H 27500 2/3 using user defined option in Non-Freesat mode manual tune. No other options are available so it is not possible to enter ITV HDs parameters (SID or V/A PIDs) with this newer software. The manual tune menu always comes up with the defaults first. Even tried doing the tuning using the hidden menu option (RGYBGYB) but with the same result. Would have been a nice option though.

We just have to hope V04 follows sky's lead and adds the capability to add ITV HD :D

scottie50

Got it guys, transponder needs to be ticked "all". For some reason mine seemed to have been defaulted to "user defined". Got about the same as you Graham, 300+ tv channels and 100+ radio channels.:smashin:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Got it guys, transponder needs to be ticked "all". For some reason mine seemed to have been defaulted to "user defined". Got about the same as you Graham, 300+ tv channels and 100+ radio channels.:smashin:

Mysterly solved, still a bit wierd though :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom