non-destructive backup??

ard126k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I wish to do a complete backup of my hard drive (OSX 10.4.11) A friend has offered me space on her external HDD which she uses with Time Machine on her iMac. Obviously I don't want to damage any of the TM stuff, how should I proceed? What's a 'partition' and would it help?
As you can see I'm no expert!
Thanks
Alex.

Create a sparse bundle on her HDD a little larger than your backup needs and backup to that (assuming there's enough space) with Carbon COpy Coner or similar. I doubt you can partition without risking her data. HDDs are so cheap now you should buy eg. a 1Tb USB My Book and use that, no worries about timely access to your data etc.

Don't forget your friend could access your data. I wouldn't want to give anyone access to my machine personally. Much better to buy your own and use time machine which is dead easy. Plus you have it there when you need it. As has been said, you don't have to spend much.

Graham

Don't forget your friend could access your data. I wouldn't want to give anyone access to my machine personally. Much better to buy your own and use time machine which is dead easy. Plus you have it there when you need it. As has been said, you don't have to spend much.

Graham

An upgrade to 10.5 would be needed for Time Machine I think.

correct, Time Machine debuted in Leopard (10.5). You'd be safer acquiring a second hard disk and using carbon copy to clone your disk to that.

Thanks for all that, yes I'm afraid this will have to be done without the luxury of TM. Off to start a new thread now about HDDs!

Sorry I read time machine and got confused. All too easily done these days!

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom