1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non crimp or solder BNC plugs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by ReTrO, Jan 28, 2003.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Does anyone know where to get non crimp or solder BNC plugs from. I know they exist because Naim used to supply them with phono boards for a while and Chord Co. use them on their cables.

Cheer guys!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    You can buy the Naim ones from Naim but they are 50ohm I think. Or you could try VEDA for the QED ones.

Gordon

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cheers Gordon.

Any idea where Chord may get theirs from?

Hows work going?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Yes,...Same place as Naim..hahahha....

Actually I think I do know but you have to order a fair old pile if you want to get them direct. I can't remember contact name and number off hand but might be able to get it as I'm going to see my old chums at SS tomorrow and they deal with them.

Gordon

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    www.cpc.co.uk they do all varieties, the crimp ones are considered best though normally.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm not a huge fan of the crimp on plugs, even though they give good performance. I've found that they have a tendancy to be pulled off easily after being on the cable for a few years.

Anyway, the ones Naim and Chord use are pretty good beacuse they are just tightened onto the cable, compression fitted I think. The centre pin needs soldering though I think, not too hard.

Cheers for the help Gordon, I'll need some for knocking up a PJ cable at Easter/Summer.:D

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Retro,

How about Neutrik BNC connectors from www.Canford.co.uk

Link to a .PDF file of page 92 of the catalogue.

Or Telegartner Solder 75 ohm BNC's on page 95 , they are for cable group B, whatever size that is.

OR Radiall BNC's on page 97

I prefer crimp connectors myself.

If you are able to pull crimps off, the wrong crimp tools have been used for the cable/connector size, or it needs tweaking a bit with some tape on the ferrule before you crimp it, to make the crimp a bit tighter (remove tape after crimping).

Good luck,

Mark.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cheers guys. I'll probably pick up a 'starter' set from somewhere to start with, crimp tool and some BNC's.

9. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Crimping is the only method you should use for optimum performance.

It is the only way to guarantee that you will achieve the 75ohm impedance rating as i have seen tests where soldering can introduce signal reflections at high frequencies.

I always crimp and would challenge anyone to pull the plug off of the cable, as stated above, with the correct tool you will have a more robust plug than soldered on.

Cheers

Elliot

10. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi X3ELS,

Were the high freq reflections caused by bad soldering causing a dry joint or melting the cable inner spacer plastic?

I very much doubt a correctly done solder joint would cause this. Think about it, the sockets on any equipment are soldered to the PCB, every single component is soldered to the PCB in every piece of equipment.

Personally I solder everything, but I have learned to solder properly (had to, worked for the MOD who are rather fussy :) )

11. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Ok let me explain things a bit more clearly:

The termination of the cable is absolutely critical this is the region where the coaxial cable is attached to the connector. Most cables use solder, and in almost all soldered applications, they are done by hand. Soldering techniques can vary, and poor soldering will result in a poor quality cable that does not meet the requirements for 75-ohm.

Another important aspect of termination involves minimizing damage of the cable that can result from crimping or kinking. The solder joint is an area of high stress since it must support the weight of cable at the connection point. When a cable is hung from the back of a TV or DVD player, the weight of that cable will cause it to bend within termination region. Over time, this bend will fatigue the solder joint resulting in the potential for wire strand breaks, solder breaks, kinking or crimping, thus decreasing the life of the cable. In order to minimize this effect, crimping is a far better method as it will (normally) uniformly grip the connector housing.

Now i appreciate if you are an expert at soldering then there is a good case for doing so, but, i have seen a comparison on a high end 9inch CRT of the same cable using soldered vs crimped BNC and the crimped definitely looked better. There was no reason i was being persuaded to prefer the crimped either as i made up both cables and am also very good at soldering (well i like to think so!).

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm with X3ELS on this, crimp is much better for these taxing 75 ohm stuff. Even my temperature controlled iron stuff is way off the mark. Tag has an interesting take on this with their special soldering techniques but I think even they prefer crimps for the like of 75 BNCs, certainly this is what the BBC uses.

Out of interest, I have never been able to break a crimp joint by pulling. I think a new crimp tool might be needed here.

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    These weren't crimps that I had done myself, they were one cabels that I received with a couple of Barco items that I bought for my D600 pj. They were thrown in, never got used.

I've used crimps name times for making aerial cables using crimp F-plugs, never pulled one of them off!

The BNC's that Chord and Naim use only involve soldering the central core/s into the pin, and the rest is all compression, which is pretty much the same as crimping.

14. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Retro

Think i know the type you are talking about, they are known as clamp type and are a real pain in the arse to put together.

Get yourself some top notch crimp BNC's and the right crimp tool and you'll never bother heating the iron again :) I use crimp for virtually everything now including all RCA, they are 100% reliable and never any worry of melting the centre cores on miniature coax when working in the tightest corner of a customers house LOL! :)

All my plugs and crimp tools come from the states, nearly all of them are Canare and they are absolutely fantastic, i sent a sample BNC to BNC cable to a mate at Tag to test for impedance, and he reported a perfect 75ohm, i was dead chuffed and have used the same set up from then on....

Cheers

Elliot

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Can you post a link for Canare (probably somewhere else also) where you get them from, and where to get the appropriate crimp gun/tool from. Do you heatshrink cover the joins afterwards?

Cheers

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    link to the crimp tool would be excellent. :)

17. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Slight aside here, but still re BNCs. This is about audio BNCs rather than video ones.

I have BNC termination on my turntable (LP12) to feed my Naim 32.5's BNC connectors. I'm about to put an offboard phono amp into the equation, which uses phono sockets. What's my best option?

As I see it I can:
    1: Add BNC to phono converters to the armlead, then get hold of a phono to BNC cable to run from phono amp to 32.5. (Least butchery option, but I'd imagine worst sounding).

2: Cut off the BNCs on the armlead cable and fit phonos, then get hold of a phono to BNC cable to run from phono amp to 32.5.

3: Cut off the BNCs plus a little cable, fit phonos on both armlead and the short cable lengths (so making up a phono/BNC cable) and use the latter to run from phono amp to 32.5.

18. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Totally depends on what cables you are making up, none of my crimp tools are the quick die change type, they are fixed.

What cables are you using?

Otherwise if people want me to make them up cables i am happy to do so, have done a few for Gordon in the past.

I think from memory the crimp tool cost about £120 each so not really the sort of thing you guys would want to buy unless you are installers. :)

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :blush:

I am using die change ones at the moment but have always fancied the proper jobbie. You can never have enough tools or cables. Most interested in one for 75 ohm coax, R59 / RG6 etc

20. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Virtually every time I've bought a cheap tool thinking "that'll do the job" I've regretted it....

21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ditto that.

One for doing either the IXOS or VanDamme min-coax would be useful also.

22. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Hi all

I can obtain professional crimp tools for RG59 spec cable, I also have available RCA and BNC connectors to match this crimping tool.

Same as above but for RG-179 cable, and again both plug types available. I cannot provide an easy link, sorry, as all my kit is purchased by a friend out there who then ships it over to me.

All the connectors i use are cable of very high bandwidths and are deigned as being perfect for SDI use also (i've used them for this already).

If people want any of the above and the mods allow me to do it then i can look into ordering some in for people.

Sorry I can't be of more help, i spent ages looking for a good UK supplier but never found a good one, one i did find charged nearly £8 a plug for BNC's.

Let me know if people are interested.

Cheers

Elliot

23. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    X3ELS

If you can find out some prices that'd be cool.

Cheers

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :)