1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Anamorphic playback with Progressive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bradford Blade, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi there,

A quick query that might well have a simple solution but I'm stumped...

...Ok, playing back DVD's through my Denon 2900 in pure Prog. Scan into my Panny 36PD30 is spot on when using current Anamorphic 'Widescreen' discs, but when playing back some of the older titles that weren't "enhanced" for widescreen I have a problem. Since the TV automatically selects 16:9 Wide mode in Prog. Scan playback, I cannot 'zoom' the pic to bring the letterbox transfer to the correct proportions:confused:

So without having to revert to interlaced playback for these discs, is there a way that I can 'zoom' up letterbox while playing back in Progessive?

My thanks in advance:smashin:

LAGAVULIN

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

Other than investing in something like a Lumagen Vision processor, I'm not sure how your problem can be solved. Otherwise, you'll just have to input an interlaced signal.

Steve

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Isn't there a setting in the Denon's menus to get around this? I have a Pioneer DV747a and in the aspect ratio section of the setup menu, there are the following:
    4.3 letterbox (which is a redundant feature, since it's software dependent)
    16.9 compressed
    The last setting will get around the problem of a monitor which locks into 16.9 when fed a progressive signal.
    Maybe there is something similar on the Denon.

4. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Cheers for this Steve,

Yeah, there is 'sorta' a similar setting in the 2900, but unfortunately it ONLY useful when playing back non-widescreen pics.

Funny thing is, when I had my Tosh ZP38 for about three weeks prior to it going back, I'm positively sure that when I played back an odd few non-anamorphic discs I could switch to the TV's letterbox setting while feeding pure progressive into it - and the Tosh did a similar thing when playing back anamorphic discs; it locked into 16:9:confused:

Why the Panny doesn't do this I dunno, but I'm scratching my head as to what I did to get the pic right on the Tosh and apply it to the Panny. Then again, it could've been a dream and I'm losing my marbles:suicide:

Thanks again Steve,

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anamorphic titles aren't enhanced to anamorphic
    They are down graded the best quality is obtained with no conversion from the original master.
    Well thats what I heard anyway!!

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    What???