1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non anamorphic DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BD, Aug 26, 2000.

1. BD

BD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havn't been collecting DVDs for very long so up until now all my purchases have been anamorphic titles. However I just bought my first non anamorphic title (Robocop: Criterion Edition) and I'm not too sure what TV mode I should be watching it in.

If I set it to the same mode as anamorphic films ('Wide' on my Toshiba) it seems to be squashed vertically. I thought the only difference between non/anamorphic films was the resolution of the picture?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anamorphic films are transfered to DVD vertically stretched, the TV in WIDE mode then streches the image horizonatally to get the correct aspect,

Non-anamorphic films are transferred to DVD totally unstreched, so the TV has to stretch the image both vertically and horizontally to fill the screen (thats why the resolution is lower). The TV mode you normally use for this is something like ZOOM or LETTERBOX

Criterion Robocop has a ratio of 1.66:1 and is non-anamorphic so you should use either the 14:9 mode (closest to 1.66:1, if you tv has it) or use the ZOOM mode (this will crop the image to 1.78:1, don't worry as the theatrical version and most video releases have been cropped to 1.85:1, not the perfect answer but the loss is not to bad)

3. BD

BD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, the correct mode for non-anamorphic films on my TV seems to be 'Cinema'.