Non-amplified subwoofer for Yamaha RX-S602

Geppo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, apologies in advance if these are silly questions, but I'm a beginner, never had a home-cinema before.
I just bought a Yamaha RX-S602 receiver and thinking about buying a subwoofer.
In the Owner's Manual it says "Use a subwoofer with built-in amplifier", which I find slightly annoying because I guess:
  • I will have to plug-in the subwoofer to the mains (yet another cable...)
  • I will have to switch it on/off every time, unless there is some sort of standby mode (but that would still use quite a bit of electricity? already have the AV receiver and my media-centre PC always on standby...)
Questions:
  1. Could I connect a passive subwoofer instead? I wonder if the Yamaha statement is just a guideline to achieve the best sound possible rather than a mandatory requirement
  2. I've noticed some subwoofers have 2 medium size speakers rather than 1 big one. Would one sound better than the other? I'm more interested in sound quality than power
  3. Any recommendations for a £100-150 budget? My room is a rather small 3x3m and I have neighbours above, below and on 2 sides so I can't play loud music

No you can't. The subwoofer out socket on your yahama is not amplified.

All powered subwoofers need a mains cable. many offer stand by mode.

Some small sealed sub would be ideal, but with that budget you only get those uber cheap ported boxes which won`t sound good. CA Minx X201 is very small and it won`t play low, but the range it plays it should sound good, even better (cleaner and punchier) than the larger X301 after reading comparison review from one experienced person. It has one 6,5" active driver and two passive (not powered) drivers. 199£ at RS so hopefully you can up your budget little. It has auto on feature and i wouldn´t about electricity bill, hah.

There is over 200 - 5/5 or 4/5 owners reviews for it, so people seem to really like what it adds to their system! And when i say it`s small, it really is darn small! WxDxH (mm) 210 x 222 x 219

You would connect the sub to your RX-S602 "subwoofer pre out" with this kind of cable.
Amazon product ASIN B01D5H8G3W

All those Minx subs are overbudget. If you can stretch to £199 then that the same price as a Q Acoustics 2070s sub. £199 brand new including delivery, which would eat the Minx x201

There are plenty of subs within budget if going for used.

The only other subs within budget new are the Wharfedale sw150 £149 and this Yamaha

Thank you all, the Yamaha NS-SW050 is probably more than enough for me.

I also really like Q3070S from an aesthetic point of view and being £179 new I'll probably find it for £150 refurbished/ex-display if I wait. I guess that would be nearly as good as the Q2070S?

The 2070 is older but is a better sub. Ive owned the 3070 and still have my 2070. Better build quality, more features and better sound. Some owners of the 3070 have reported amp problems. The 2070 is actually heavier than the 3070.

Even on QA's own website they are selling the 2070 for more than the 3070.

If you dont mind used, there are plenty of.budget subs within your budget. You can also post a wanted advert on this forum's classifieds if you wish.

All those Minx subs are overbudget. If you can stretch to £199 then that the same price as a Q Acoustics 2070s sub. £199 brand new including delivery, which would eat the Minx x201

There are plenty of subs within budget if going for used.

The only other subs within budget new are the Wharfedale sw150 £149 and this Yamaha

Out of curiosity, where do you see the 2070s at £199?
I don't see it on sale anywhere, let alone at that price.

Its £199 brand new with delivery and warranty included on Q Acoustics website, although one member on this forum bought it from Amazon for the same price.

Used ones do.pop up on ebay every now and then but the ones that are fully working in great immaculate condition with box tend to fetch not much below the new price, usually anywhere from £120 - 170 plus delivery on top which makes a.brand new.one.great value.

Its £199.98 to be exact.

Ive checked a few times and its always been in stock each time Ive checked. Im actually surprised this sub is still under £200 considering some of the other products have gone up in price over the past year, presumably due to lack of supply during the pandemic.

IMG_20210119_160033.jpg
accessed today.

One of these subs easily shakes the radiators and floorboards in my house with ease.

Its £199.98 to be exact.

Ive checked a few times and its always been in stock each time Ive checked. Im actually surprised this sub is still under £200 considering some of the other products have gone up in price over the past year, presumably due to lack of supply during the pandemic.

accessed today.

One of these subs easily shakes the radiators and floorboards in my house with ease.

Maybe I'm going mad, but I definitely don't see it on sale on that website.

Would you mind sharing the link please?

Last edited:
Sure, the link is:

Thank you, very kind.

That's definitely the website I'm looking at. I've also tried it on my mobile, using different browsers. I even asked a friend to try, but there is no BUY option.

Perhaps you bought something from them in the past and they gave you access to a special section of the website. Mystery...

1611077083433.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom