Nominal Output / Maximum Output

GuyScissorhands

Standard Member
Lets say I were to get an Onkyo 605, can someone give me a fair idea of the nominal value compared to the maximum output? I have Yamaha speakers with a 100W total input per channel so I was wondering if it would be okay to use these, as opposed to buying some Eggs.

Member 281695

Technically, there is a risk of damaging these speakers with the Onkyo 605. It can deliver higher output than the speakers will stand, at least momentarily.

As a rule of thumb, the speakers should be able of standing twice the continous amplifier power. :)

But, if you are not planning to play very load for long periods of time, your probably not going to have any problems.

Technically, there is a risk of damaging these speakers with the Onkyo 605. It can deliver higher output than the speakers will stand, at least momentarily.

As a rule of thumb, the speakers should be able of standing twice the continous amplifier power. :)

But, if you are not planning to play very load for long periods of time, your probably not going to have any problems.
I think you should be fine if these speakers can handle 100W. When I bought my 605, the reviews that I saw said the actual power output figures by 605's were less than the advertised figures. 90watts or so per channel (max)

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Actually, 30W RMS 20-20kHz into 8 Ohms, all channels driven, would be a more realistic estimate for the SR-605. The speakers should be fine if you don't try to get volume levels out of them that neither the speaker nor the amp can deliver.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom