Nomadland (TBA) Directed by Chloe Zhao

systemsdead

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The movie follows a woman (Frances McDormand) in her sixties, who after losing everything in the Great Recession, embarks on a journey through the American West, living as a van-dwelling modern-day nomad.

This is great news Chloe Zhao's The Rider was my favourite movie from last year, this has come as a pleasant surprise after the talks of her being involved in another run of the mill super-hero film (The Eternals) which is also still going ahead I believe.

Already started filming:smashin:
Nomadland-620x413.jpg

“As I fell in love with the American West, it was impossible not to become fascinated with the roads that lead to the many adventures beyond the horizon,” Zhao said. “I’m very fortunate to be able to hit the road with a talented team and collaborate with a cast of professional and non-professional actors who are deeply giving and inspiring. I can’t wait to share their stories and what we’ve discovered along the way.”

Critics appear to love it.

Saw this last night and thought it was incredible - McDormand's performance, the cinematography and the score are the highlights IMO. Obviously, there will be an inevitable backlash when it goes on wide release (currently 1 January 2021 in the UK) and I've already read some discourse around the way it sugar coats working in Amazon's packing plants (which isn't what the film is about, so seemed a bit of a moot point to me) but I'd say this is well worth watching, especially if you liked Zhao's previous film, The Rider.

Last edited:
Much to admire but I guess it was never going to be an easy task to follow The Rider, performances score worked brilliantly at times and often reminded me of Wender's past road trips, it's not gonna trouble my top ten of this year but its definitely a trip worth taking.

Would be nice to see this in IMAX but my local multiplex is currently a vaccine hub!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom