Nomadland (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

Almost worthy of a Spinal Tap 11 I feel after reading that Tom.

Very happy though, I'm really looking forward to seeing this myself. Something like this is of course ready made for Oscar glory, but regardless I'm glad it took the gongs. Sounds like they were more than merited.

Thanks for the review Tom, you don't see many films get a 10 on here, so this must be something special. Cinematography looks impressive from the clips I've seen. It may become the first thing I watch on Disney Plus.

Thanks Tom, means I might actually watch something on Disney+ myself having had my kids use it for the past year!!

I can hardly wait

Thanks Tom - will catch this over the weekend :)

Great review on what seems a must watch film , D+ is delivering the goods with Star .

Love and really appreciate the review.

I've adored and followed the career of Frances McDormand since 'Blood Simple' (big Coen Bros fan). She has never been anything other than exceptional in both her versatility and refusal to march to the H/Wood beat. Quality will out.

I'm so looking forward to seeing this.

Really great movie watched it a couple weeks ago.
it’s a slow burner for sure and a must watch if you have not seen it.
the soundtrack is excellent as well.

Slow, quiet, expertly shot. Beautifully naturalistic performances throughout. It's actually really nice to have some Oscar bait that doesn't fall into the usual 'X minority triumphs against adversity' mold.

I would personally give it an eight out of ten, but I will caveat that by saying that for it to earn a ten there would have to be spaceships and at least one person having their face melted off.

I am sorry guys but, for me anyway, this is nowhere near a 10. Yeah its good but nowhere near a 10 IMHO. 7 maybe.

Surely one of the weakest Oscar winners ever?

A massive disappointment. I feel like I've just watched a competent indie movie found accidentally on Amazon Prime. I'm not sure I could recommend it to anyone.

Watched it last night and loved it.
It was a bit dream like I thought- nothing really happened though.
I thought the life style was pretty sad, yet heartwarming- I'd no idea it was a thing.

On my list to watch over the bank holiday weekend

It was fine, but just shows how poor cinema was/is in 2020/21 when this film gets a 10 on here and wins Best Picture at the Oscars. Put this film in any other Best Picture category of the last few decades and it wouldn't win. In years to come I think people will look back at these past 12-18 months and realise how below par it was.

When you also look at the other films that were nominated for Best Picture this year - Mank, Minari, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7 etc - all were 'okay' but the bar was definitely lower this year.

Last year's Best Picture nominees - 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite, Joker, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari (aka Le Mans 66) and Little Women - all of those (excluding perhaps Little Women) are more deserving of Best Picture than this year's selections, and that wasn't a particularly vintage year.

Last edited:
It was fine, but just shows how poor cinema was/is in 2020/21 when this film gets a 10 on here and wins Best Picture at the Oscars. Put this film in any other Best Picture category of the last few decades and it wouldn't win. In years to come I think people will look back at these past 12-18 months and realise how below par it was.

When you also look at the other films that were nominated for Best Picture this year - Mank, Minari, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7 etc - all were 'okay' but the bar was definitely lower this year.

Last year's Best Picture nominees - 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite, Joker, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari (aka Le Mans 66) and Little Women - all of those (excluding perhaps Little Women) are more deserving of Best Picture than this year's selections, and that wasn't a particularly vintage year.
Conversely, I would pick Nomadland over all of last year's nominees, with the possible exception of Parasite.
The beauty of opinions.

Conversely, I would pick Nomadland over all of last year's nominees, with the possible exception of Parasite.
The beauty of opinions.
Which is fine, but doesn't address my concern over the lack of spaceships and facemelting.

The facemelting will be in the Director's Cut.

I hadn’t realised this was a way of life for some in the US.
A documentary made me aware of the Australian lifestyle years ago, must have aired on the BBC I imagine. I remember it well.

The beauty of opinions.
Absolutely. Films like Nomadland can be divisive due to their subject matter.

What do I know, I enjoyed the recent Wrong Turn reboot more than Nomadland. Starting to think I'm just uncultured.

I think much of the credit for Nomadland has to go to Frances McDormand, she excels in everything she puts her name to. Up there as one of the greatest actresses of all time for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom