Nomadland (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

VivaE

Conversely, I would pick Nomadland over all of last year's nominees, with the possible exception of Parasite.
The beauty of opinions.

Agree. It just comes down to what appeals, individually, to us in terms of quality storytelling.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
A beautifully shot film, cleverly crafted as I don’t know what was scripted v real life stories (some of the more heartfelt stories I’m assuming real).

Felt like an indie Terrence Malick film without the preaching (although his last film A hidden life was a return for him).

Frances was as ever, superb, so easy to watch, was really nice to see David Straithairn again.

8/10 for me

AidenL

I couldn’t watch this, turned it off after 20 minutes. Personally, I found it quite boring.

Garrett

I couldn’t watch this, turned it off after 20 minutes. Personally, I found it quite boring.
Your threshold of boredom better than mine as you got further than me I lasted about 10 minutes. I had an inkling if this was more of the same Id be bored stiff I looked at some review on IMDB and my suspicions where right no basic plot just snippets out of someone's life.
It won 3 Oscars but seems if you make this sort of boring film its arty, now a million miles better film in this region The Straight Story utterly brilliant but doesn't not get an 1 Oscar only 1 nomination.

I think I be more entertained eavesdroping to two old women sat behind me on a bus than this.:laugh:

snaz

I feel like I just watched a very clever bit of proganda glorifying the gig economy, making the nomadic lonely reality with the mental health challenges it creates as some sort of choice rather than enforced reality. Referring to the Amazon stints at minimum wage as the times of plenty made my blood boil, or suggesting that people had easy choices through family/friends to escape the viscious circle they are trapped in that they reject out of some sort of stubbornness.

But maybe it's just me 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

VivaE

...now a million miles better film in this region The Straight Story utterly brilliant but doesn't not get an 1 Oscar only 1 nomination.
That was such an all-round joy. So perfectly cast and so beautifully and poignantly drawn.

Meyrick Man

Great film 8/10 from me and the Mrs

sneakyweeone

Bit slow for me, not sure Frances deserved an Oscar for this. 7 out of 10.

sneakyweeone

I feel like I just watched a very clever bit of proganda glorifying the gig economy, making the nomadic lonely reality with the mental health challenges it creates as some sort of choice rather than enforced reality. Referring to the Amazon stints at minimum wage as the times of plenty made my blood boil, or suggesting that people had easy choices through family/friends to escape the viscious circle they are trapped in that they reject out of some sort of stubbornness.

But maybe it's just me 🤷‍♂️
My son works with DHL they pay minimum wage. His transport to work failed him earlier this week so they dock him a days pay- fair enough. I asked him how much he would lose for that, £54 was the reply. I was shocked at how low it is.
So the bit with Amazon jarred with me too. Making out it was decent money was a bit much.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
What platform can I see that on, Tom, sounds great?
It's the title of the new Terrence Malick film (probably) and will be available only through a brand new streaming service devoted only to Terrence Malick movies (possibly) that will only be available in the US (almost certainly).

encaser

It's the title of the new Terrence Malick film (probably) and will be available only through a brand new streaming service devoted only to Terrence Malick movies (possibly) that will only be available in the US (almost certainly).
Finally. Clearly another Malick fan.
I'll only almost only certainly watch that. Probably.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
If “TerryM streaming services” is in 4K/HDR, sign me up, been waiting for the Thin Red Line UHD for too long...

TM.JPG

midknight

Distinguished Member
No way a 10 for me. This was hugely helped by the cinematic COVID drought and some Oscar virtue signalling glory - otherwise it’s a good film but no way a great one. 7 out of 10.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
D+ tech info:

4K - HEVC - HDR10 - DD 5.1

Average video bit rate: 15.8 Mbps
Peak video bit rate: 26.4 Mbps
Audio bit rate: 256 Kbps

XL5

Which is fine, but doesn't address my concern over the lack of spaceships and facemelting.
Exactly, i was waiting for the grey bearded preacher to rip open his shirt and reveal superman...sadly it didn't happen, very disappointing

Judge Mental

Depends what you want out of a movie. Not much happens but in a very beautifully shot and tenderly acted way. I thought it had some interesting messages but overall it was like a beautiful painting or sitting by a river, an almost meditative experience.

Russ 66

I had high hopes for this....
Didn't like this at all, a very dreary film, stilled acting, just miserable.
For a film about a journey there is none, for me The Sound Of Metal was infinitely better in it's script and acting.
I feel this is a bit emperors new clothes, if you don't like it is because "you don't understand it".
5/10.

Russ 66

I mean, literally no one has said that so I don't know why you would feel this way.
Not directed at you or anyone on this thread, I was generalising what you get with a lot of worthy films. I was probably wrong to write that, so apologies but the film did annoy me :rotfl:
I know you obviously liked this film and everyone is entitled to their opinion. It just left me cold.

SOUNDVISION

Ones review of the "Nomadland" movie, it was a very slow and boring type of movie.
Its the type of video you doze of to then wake up half way through and have to rewind to bit you missed but in this case I would not bother to rewind.
I would rather watch a Gypsy Travelling Community, than these American Caravan Travellers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update