nokia n91

S

shoalin kid

anyone know when this phone is out ,cos its a chioce between this or a sony w800 :confused:

Carphone Warehouse told me the launch has been put back until Spring, It was supposed to be out now but none of the UK networks have approved it for use on their networks yet

Carphone Warehouse (the salesman at least) told me CNN have been advertising it for some time now so it is on sale is some parts of the world at least!

I'm going to Egypt tomorrow so I'm going to see if I can pick one up there

the N91 is IMO plug ugly. seems that the designers were given a brief to draw something that looks "special" and got a Bangle on their hands...

look ant www.theregister.co.uk for more info on this phone, but apprently there is another Nokia smaller and very cute, akbeit only 2GB max, due soon.

asherpat said:
the N91 is IMO plug ugly. seems that the designers were given a brief to draw something that looks "special" and got a Bangle on their hands...

look ant www.theregister.co.uk for more info on this phone, but apprently there is another Nokia smaller and very cute, akbeit only 2GB max, due soon.
I agree with the plug ugly quote. It doesn't look good in any way.

There is now the 3250 announced, but that isn't much better either - a strange/stupid swivelling keyboard (numerics one side, music controls on the other). And it uses transflash, currently limited to 512meg. And heres me able to put 2gig MMCs into my SX1.

The N91 is probably the nicest looking phone due out.

It is bizarre how tastes differ but it does make me cringe how people buy the current ugly phones on the market.

Just for the record the best looking phone available at present is the Moto Razor V3. However due to the fact that every man and his dog has one its appeal has been someone diminished. However if you look at only the fundamentals of styling it is still the best looking phone on the market at the moment.

The next best looking phone is the Nokia 8800. If you dont have the money for the 8800 then you should have the Razor V3 in theory as it doesnt make sense to own the other other phones out there. Having said this I can understand if you want to be different but had the V3 remained somewhat exclusive it would be the phone to own.

Overall the best looking phone ever made was the Nokia 8810 followed by the 8850.

Dont understand how people can buy those samsung, siemens etc rubbish.

Anyway back to the point. The N91 is the phone I am waiting for to buy alongside my 8800 and V3 and it just amazes me to hear about the above comments. All Nokia's of late since the 8810 some 7 yrs-ish ago have been rubbish (I am even disappointed with the styling of the 8800). The N91 is the only Nokia with some prospect.

i have a v3 now and while it may look good its crap,styling is important but the rest has to up to scratch as well,if the n91 has been put back til spring i may get a w800

Why is the V3 crap?

What other function apart from making calls does anyone need with a mobile?

Definitely not for photos or surfing the net surely.

As for the W800 I would rather have the N91 even if I had to wait 10yrs. I would even rather have the common V3 over that piece of rubbish. Why would anyone even consider it in the same league as the N91.

What, compare the W800 to the N91?

Well, for one, the W800 has a better camera. Second, much better battery life. And finally, more flexible storage (ie. you can have a few different MS Duo cards, therefore giving more storage).

As for beauty, thats totally in the eye of the beholder :cool:

I agree with the V3 being one of the best looking phones of the moment; a close second now has to be either the 8800 or the SLVR/L7 - the SLVR takes the basic design of the V3, puts it into a candy bar, and its a darned good price - Voda list it as £160 on payg. Remember it adds some handy functions over the V3 - video recording, expandable memory, full address book.

i had the same predicament and went for the w800 and it really is the best phone ive ever had, and ive had alot. its styling is second to none and i agree that the n91 looks awfull. i had a few worries because i'm normally a nokia man as they are easier for me to text with, but this is just as simple.

as for the v3, ive had one and they are pure crap, the camera isnt worth taking pics with and although its very thin its far too wide for my liking and when opened up makes one big phone, and its memory capacity is laughable

emporer said:
as for the v3, ive had one and they are pure crap, the camera isnt worth taking pics with and although its very thin its far too wide for my liking and when opened up makes one big phone, and its memory capacity is laughable

Pure crap? Bit strong, eh? Maybe just not the right phone for you. Its probably the best looking phone on the market (vying with the 8800 and L7 now). You knew the camera was a standard VGA unit when you bought it, and the memory was always advertised as 5meg. Its primarily a stylish phone, does the basics well.

clonmult said:
Pure crap? Bit strong, eh? Maybe just not the right phone for you. Its probably the best looking phone on the market (vying with the 8800 and L7 now). You knew the camera was a standard VGA unit when you bought it, and the memory was always advertised as 5meg. Its primarily a stylish phone, does the basics well.

it is just an awfull phone that Motorola have tried to make out that its up there with the rest, but its way off the mark. i agree with you that it's styling is primary but even then its still far too wide, if it was thinner by around 10mm then it would be a very stylish phone. i couldnt use the keypad at all as its just flat and has no kind of feel to it. when you consider what was available when it was launched it does fair very badly against them - ie d500

emporer said:
it is just an awfull phone that Motorola have tried to make out that its up there with the rest, but its way off the mark. i agree with you that it's styling is primary but even then its still far too wide, if it was thinner by around 10mm then it would be a very stylish phone. i couldnt use the keypad at all as its just flat and has no kind of feel to it. when you consider what was available when it was launched it does fair very badly against them - ie d500

The price premium was caused by the styling, NOT the spec, so comparing to a D500 is unfair, as they aren't in the same market segment.

Thing is, that it isn't awful as a phone, you are comparing it to something like the D500 which is more of a multimedia device than phone.

clonmult said:
The price premium was caused by the styling, NOT the spec, so comparing to a D500 is unfair, as they aren't in the same market segment.

Thing is, that it isn't awful as a phone, you are comparing it to something like the D500 which is more of a multimedia device than phone.

i suppose you have a fair point, but tbh the d500 is superb in its styling and the v3 isn't overly stylish now is it? the same thing is happening with the nokia 8800 now, a crap phone in a shiny case that is way too overpriced. i have a friend who until a couple of weeks ago was a nokia rep and he told me the 8800 was the biggest mistake they made, nokia in general are losing the way. we have the technology now to have features in stylish phones ie w800, d5/600 etc, but for some reason when some manufacturers choose to make something a bit quirky in the styling dept all phone features just go out the window and you end up with an expensive shiny case.

The V3 is a nasty phone. Looks wise, the shell is nice. Then you open it up and see the buttons. For the price, specs are horrible. The 8800 is nice looking, but I prefer to have specs over style in my phones, especially since I got a 750i (when it arrives) over a choice of both of them.

emporer said:
i suppose you have a fair point, but tbh the d500 is superb in its styling and the v3 isn't overly stylish now is it? the same thing is happening with the nokia 8800 now, a crap phone in a shiny case that is way too overpriced. i have a friend who until a couple of weeks ago was a nokia rep and he told me the 8800 was the biggest mistake they made, nokia in general are losing the way. we have the technology now to have features in stylish phones ie w800, d5/600 etc, but for some reason when some manufacturers choose to make something a bit quirky in the styling dept all phone features just go out the window and you end up with an expensive shiny case.

I do like the D500; the D600 almost improves on it (apart from not having a lens cover, rrrrr).

The 8800; interesting. Remember the 8910/i? Didn't drop in value, it was a premium product that kepts its price. Moto have dropped the price of the V3, which is a shame in some ways. The 8800 is a definite mixed bag. Its pretty much a 6230i with a cut back camera and more internal memory. It pushes the V3 concept too far; especially awkward with the Moto L7 doing something very similar.

But Nokia loosing their way? I do kinda agree. They definitely have the ability to push things, but don't. They very, very, slowly evolve the product lines; almost like they are trying to control the market, but the others (Samsung, Moto, SE) are really catching up with design and spec.

The 8800 ships with two batteries. Enough said with that really :)

i do think nokia are so far up thier own backsides to realise what is actually happening in the mobile world of today, i think they bacame to lazy as everyone had a nokia phone as there wasn't much really else to challenge them, thier product range became dull and dreary whilst others now have superb market leading products and maybe they have kind of realised but i reckon its too late for them to reclaim former glory. i am no nokia hater and have had recently a rather fine 6230i which is an excellent phone, best they have done in years i reckon.

The 6230i is the current pinnacle of S40 development, and is a pretty fine handset. However, it still shows more of the gradual evolution.

7250 integrated the camera that was an addon for the 7210.
6230 added better camera, mp3 playback support
6230i - higher resolution screen, megapixel camera (thats pretty much it, isn't it?).

They haven't improved the Mp3 player one bit to make it truly usable (which is a shame)

S60 is arguable worse in its evolution; my irritation is that the calendar has hardly changed since the 7650, and it just isn't good enough for anything other than basic schedule management.

Ludicrous69 said:
Carphone Warehouse (the salesman at least) told me CNN have been advertising it for some time now so it is on sale is some parts of the world at least!

Can anyone confirm that? I was under the impression it wasn't out anywhere yet?

The adverts are for the N90 not N91. The N91 has a first quarter 2006 release date.

I agree with many of the above comments, I used to always buy Nokia phones, they led the market in both usablility and features, as well as style. But, for some reason, they have truly lost their way.

Motorola have always been truly awful in my opinion, their operating system seems to always let them down, I always find them clunky and unintuitive, sure, the V3 looks nice, but it is a dog to use, and as a phone as well as a business/entertainment tool, it is poo poo'ed on from a great height by the likes of the W800i and the D500/D600.

Nokia do not have one single class leading product in their portfolio right now, the 8800 is a bit of a joke, looks fab, but hardly cutting edge technology, and the battery life is abysmal!!

I've basically given up on Nokia at the moment and am currently using a Sony Ericsson W800i, this is one hell of a phone, easily the best phone I've used and I've owned many, many, many phones. One of the worst phones I've ever had the misfortune to come across in relation to what other phones were available was the Moto T720i, how they released something so awful is beyond me.

Innovation for Nokia ended with the 7650, the 7610, while very good, is well out of date right now, and the 6xxx series is past it. Even the 3G 6680 is left behind by the SE K608 imo.

The 7710 is just a joke, and you all know my thoughts about the 8800 already, few months time, we'll probably see an 8800i too.

I'm getting a Samsung D600 shortly also, Samsung and Sony Ericsson are the current leaders, they innovated and gave us great designs while the establishment sat on their backsides trying to fleece their customer base with rehashed and inadequate products.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should take off their blinkers and look at the bigger picture.

Nokias biggest mistake right now is just having too large a range, they are concentrating on too many variations of phones, and their handsets have just lost their identity. There was a time when one could just say, ahh yes, that's a Nokia so and so, but now, you'd be hard pushed to recognise a single nokia phone out there apart from say the 7710 or 8800. Instead of investing money in so many variations, they should put it towards truly innovating units. It's a pity, would love to get a new Nokia, but there is nothing in their range that appeals to me right now.

I've always despised Motorolas operating system, it is awful, and they never seem to learn from that, pity, as they usually have great looking phones, but the market is a bit smarter now, and you will always get the shallow putting style so high above substance that phones like the V3 will sell loads and be deemed a success by their creators....and so the cycle begins again.....:mad:

Oooh, I think I've typed too much :)

D600 is almost a great product. Only almost. No lens cover. No autofocus. On an O2 contract for me, it costs more than a W800, and the D600 doesn't have as much memory (needs a TF card to come close to the W800).

What was the problem with the T720i? I know the camera was awful and it didn't have much memory; my T720 is still working very nicely, battery life is okay. Its massively reliable as well - my son has yet to kill it off. I've always found the Moto UI pretty consistent.

I agree that the last Nokia product to innovate being the 7650 though, it was ground breaking, but Nokia have just sat on their laurels since then.

Just the general usability of it, the screen wasn't very good, and trying to do simple things like profile management, silent mode, alarms and the like were just a chore.

There was an alarm that my wife set on it once, and I tried for ages to figure out how the heck to switch it off. The alarm itself was such an annoying noise too, and didn't auto turn off after a certain time, a right pain when the wife left the phone downstairs and it started to go off at 7.30am on a Sunday morning, :mad:

Battery life was good though, and it was very solid.

It's probably just the Moto O/S, it just doesn't sit well with me, I think others do their UI much better.

Totally agree with you about the Motorola UI. It's nearly the only reason why I don't use them. Their phones are decent enough looking, but until they have a new UI, I'm not touching it. I was minutes away from getting a V3, but when I tested it, I saw it had the same OS as my girlfriends old V535, so I made my excuses and left. Buying a 750i next week, as we just got them in on contract in my phone shop.

aidey6 said:
The adverts are for the N90 not N91. The N91 has a first quarter 2006 release date.

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I thought.

To Kazman
If it's specs are to be believed, surely the N91 will be a leading class phone, it'll certainly be up there with them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom