Nokia N73 Firmware Upgrade: How To!

Obskure

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!
Have just received my N73 this morning following purchase on these trading forums(A1 service too). I'm about to upgrade the firmware on the phone. Currently it's V2.0628.0.0.1, rm-133, Nokia N73 (58.01). I'm going to upgrade to V3 using Nemisis Software Suite, Nokia PC Suite, & Nokia Software Update.
Then, I'll update to N73 Music Edition, Documenting the process along the way.
1) Download the three programs underlined above and install.
2)Run PC Suite first, and follow instructions. this will install cable drivers etc. Close when finished.
3)Run Nemisis Software Suite(NSS). Click the icon in the top right-hand corner(scan). Then click on "Phone info". On the right hand side of the screen you will see product code. Press Read. The code will appear in blue. At this stage you type in the new product code 0527009. Click Enable box and then click Write. Only takes a few seconds. Close the Application then.
4)Run Nokia Software Update. Follow instructions on screen. Ensure that the mobile is fully charged.
At this stage the N73 has been updated to V3.0638.0.0.1, 30-10-2006, RM-133, Nokia N73(01). This will solve bluetooth dropout problems as well as other bug-fixes.

If at this stage you still want to continue change the firmware to the N73 Music Edition, It's the same as before just using a different product code with NSS.
1)Run NSS as before, scanning for device,select phone info, and read product code. At this stage, you change the code for this "0537289" Euro 1(Music Edition Product Code). Click Enable, then Write. Close NSS.
2)Run NSU and follow instructions on screen.
When finished(about 25 mins, depending on connection speed) You will have a firmware identical phone to the N73ME.

Disclaimer:- I have put this guide together myself following alot of research on other sites and forums. I don't take responsibilty for any outcomes, good or bad. It worked for me & I hope it works for you.

Many many thanks for this.

Have just upgraded to the Music Edition. The phone is noticeably faster and more responsive now.

Thanks for bringing all the info into one post. :clap:

Here you go!

Scroll down to the bottom and select the beta version (4.86Mb). I was told on another thread that this was fine to use.

All very straight forward if you follow the instructions above.

:rolleyes: Thanks, so could I use nemesis to change the region of my mobile, this mobile is a gift to my russian friend but it doesnt have russian on it so is it possible to change the product code so that next time i run the NSU it will install the russian version of firmware?

can you tell me the original product code, i should have wrote it down really

:rolleyes: Thanks, so could I use nemesis to change the region of my mobile, this mobile is a gift to my russian friend but it doesnt have russian on it so is it possible to change the product code so that next time i run the NSU it will install the russian version of firmware?

can you tell me the original product code, i should have wrote it down really

Hmm, getting a bit beyond my level of expertise (not that hard!)

There is another thread on here with all the codes listed. What you're saying sounds logical but I'm not 100% sure. I just did a search for N73.

Hope this helps.

Looks like a good How-To guide but for the last week my N73 doesn't connect to PC Suite, doesn't recoginize anything.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

Hi AMG,
Had a problem similar to this myself! I actually still have a problem with Windows thinging I'm installing new hardware each time they connect via bluetooth or cable. Anyway, when pcsuite didn't work I just removed it via the control panel. If there's a problem after that a quick of fone and windows should sort it out.
P.S. I wouldn't recommend trying the guide process unless everything is working A.O.K.

Ludicrous69,
The product codes for Russia are:
EMEA version of the regular N73-0529607

EMEA version of the N73 Music Edition-0539279
Hope that helps!

So if I changed the product code to the Russian product code for N73ME and ran NSU the N73 would then be a Russian varient complete with Russian language?

Oh and many thanks, worked a treat for me too and it currently just using it as an English N73ME and it got the barcode reader working too :) altho quite what its for I can't work out

ok so i changed my N73 to a N73ME and used the code in the first post

i cant remember but i dont think i ever connected the fone to PC suite after doing this

today i did a hard reset *#7370# and when it restarted some things were missing from the fone like the nokia search and im sure a couple of other things but dont know what

i downloaded pc suite and tried to connect but it doesnt work i get an error message from window sayin the device is not recognised and to click for help when i go further into it it says no drivers installed for it

does the N73ME use a different version of PC Suite/drivers/cable drivers than standard N73

i need to get this working as I want to update the firmware again as i have the fone advertised for sale

did anyone else have this problem after upgrading the firmware from N73 to N73ME

I have some questions as am about to update my phone

Should you remove the sim card & memory card before you start or just back the phone memory up using Nokia Suite?
What mode (ie mass storage, PC Suite ect) should the phone be in when using NSS and NSU?

Thanks

Great, worked a treat. I've been having a problem with a program that didn't uninstall properly and wouldn't re-install. Downloaded the Nemisis software, changed my number and went to upgrade from Nokia and bobs yer uncle, phone runs faster, program re-installed ok and all them horrible blue bubble things have stopped appearing too ! In answer to SuperOxford, I connected via pc suite and worked fine. I just updated to the latest N73 though not to the music edition, not sure what the difference is between the 2, anyone care to let me know the difference and if its worthwhile? I've put the music player onto my active tool bar so I can get to it wth one button any way so what other advantages are there? Thanks obskure, great bit of advice.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/smilies/luxhello.gif
:clap:
ps. Did have one minor panic almost from my firewall though. Nokia recommend strongly not to interupt the phone/pc during the update, left it to it and when I came back the screen saver had kicked in and Zone alarm disconnected my internet connection ! Disabled the screen saver and restarted and worked okay the second time but had me worried.

I have just updated to though not to the Music Edition as well and my phone seems almost like a new phone. Far faster and running as fast as any other phone I have had.

Version showing now is

V 3.0649.0.0.1
30/11/06
RM-133
(c)Nokia N73(01)

I recommend it to everyone! :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,
Glad you've got it done. SuperOxford, sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'm happy it works but now that you're on that specific Version I believe you cannot change to Music Edition because it has a lower version no. i.e. You can't downgrade.
Browny, I think the same applies although I don't know what version you have. As for the music edition Firmware differences, the Music player supports Album Art, and has two new Themes, Stave & Waveform. The reason to do this at the time was for two reasons 1) Upgrading to V.3 to solve bluetooth dropout issues. 2) To use the music player and have Album Art.
Now the original firmware upgrade is a higher version and has supposedly fixed more issues (unknown to me as of yet). There has not been another music edition firmware upgrade yet.

Thanks for your guide Obskure as it was easy to follow even for an idiot like me!

Am not bothered about having the Music Edition version as mine 'new' phone works like a beauty. May upgrade again in the future but for now I am more than happy

Can anyone inform me if upgrading the firmware to the Music Edition will have any adverse effect on a Nokia N73 with pre installed CoPilot sat nav from T Mobile???

KevH,
Hi. If your sat-nav is installed on your phone then, yes, it will be removed during the firmware upgrade. On the other hand, if the program is installed on a memory card(probably not), then removing it will be fine! Maybe you have an installation cd that came with the phone?!

Havent yet got the phone , been offered it by T Mobile so i'll have to ask how the CoPilot comes etc etc . Just in 2 minds as to get the N73 now and upgrade the firmware to ME or wait and see if T Mobile offer the N73 ME sometime soon. T Mobile just offered me the N73 with CoPilot as they didnt know when or if they would offer the 73ME. Decisions decisions :(

Wouldn't you be able to back-up the installation of Co-Pilot and then restore your backup to the phone after you've flashed the firmware? I'd always assumed that's why the Updater asks you to backup your phone before flashing anyway...

...As for the music edition Firmware differences, the Music player supports Album Art, and has two new Themes, Stave & Waveform. The reason to do this at the time was for two reasons 1) Upgrading to V.3 to solve bluetooth dropout issues. 2) To use the music player and have Album Art.

Hi Obskure, do you know how the Album Art feature works?

If I copy some of my MP3/WMA albums onto a memory card and include an image (in the appropriate format & resolution) will it display automatically? :confused:

What I'm concerned about is that the phone may try to use the web to get Album Art and I don't want it to as my tariff will charge for data downloads and if I change the music frequently that could get expensive! :eek:

Alternatively, is there a pc based app that could get the album art through my broadband connection rather through my mobile service provider? (Microsoft Media player has already added album art to my music folders and I have also scanned some CD sleeves myself).

Hi Jivetalker,
you have no need to worry about your data charges. Phone definitely does not use GPRS for this info. If your music tracks are tagged properly then album art will appear. If it doesn't appear but you have included it the folder for file transfer, It's simply a matter of choosing options on album or track, Album art, change, then choose your pic from the list provided. If you have Itunes, You could use the "Get Album Art" feature when your albums are highlighted. Bear in mind the N73 will not play Itunes purchased material.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom