Nokia N70 - Quick Answer Needed

peterjspencer

My brother has got an N70 and is pulling his hairout. The phone keeps freezing and locking up on him, sometimes during mid conversation. Ive read loads of stuff on here recently and sure I remember people having problems with this phone freezing. Our kid is a bit of a technology dinosaur so it could be him. Hes basically been mis sold the phone as he asked Orange telesales for a simple phone with lots of memory for photos and stored phone numbers. He should have done some research I know but thats inmpulsive buying for you. Hes had the phone for 6 months and probably never even read the manual !

Is there a way of freeing up memory on this phone ? What about a software / firmware update from Nokia via the PC? Ive seen that link recently on this discussion board.

Hes been on to orange and theyve told him basically tough luck ! Im trying to get him a new phone by quoting the sales of goods act 1974 at them (my mate works for trading standards!!) and the fact that the goods are not fit for the purpose they were intended.

Thanks in advance !!

RSK21

Novice Member
Peter,

Some of the more recent Nokia series 60 phones have been very buggy indeed at launch and the most annoying mainfestations of this have been when the phone actually stops being a phone ! i..e turning off mid call as you state.

This happened to me with my N70 and is still happening with my N80.

Two things I would suggest:

1 - Update the N70 firmware via the link on the Nokia UK website. This will make a difference to the general running of the phone and will help your bro to get rid of the ridiculous Orange front end which they impose on all their phones which eats some memory and is just another thing to go wrong.

2 - His problems may well be caused by the fact that he is in a poor area for 3G coverage. Switching to standard GSM via the settings menu can make a difference in this case. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 3G phone though I know.

Incidentally Orange are absolute s*ds for allowing these to be released when the firmwares are known to be buggy and then feigning total and utter incredulity when people phone up to report well documented failings ...."Really that's strange, not sure why that's happening sir....." etc etc. Equally annoying is to the best of my knowledge they do not then inform customers of when new firmware is released which will cure some of these problems nor do they provide (or at least if they do they don't publicise) the facility to update the firmware in Orange stores.

Re your sale of goods point - I wish more people would challenge on this basis - I am convinced that Orange ( and maybe others) are in breach if they ship goods which have inherent failings from day one which are then addressed by the original manufacturer of those goods in later revisions.

If he has Orange Care He should continue to complain and they will eventually replace his phone with another N70 or equivalent. I think that after 3 duff N70s he may very well be able to insist on another model phone so that he has a phone which actually makes and receives phone calls.

Good luck.

RSK

peterjspencer said:
My brother has got an N70 and is pulling his hairout. The phone keeps freezing and locking up on him, sometimes during mid conversation. Ive read loads of stuff on here recently and sure I remember people having problems with this phone freezing. Our kid is a bit of a technology dinosaur so it could be him. Hes basically been mis sold the phone as he asked Orange telesales for a simple phone with lots of memory for photos and stored phone numbers. He should have done some research I know but thats inmpulsive buying for you. Hes had the phone for 6 months and probably never even read the manual !

Is there a way of freeing up memory on this phone ? What about a software / firmware update from Nokia via the PC? Ive seen that link recently on this discussion board.

Hes been on to orange and theyve told him basically tough luck ! Im trying to get him a new phone by quoting the sales of goods act 1974 at them (my mate works for trading standards!!) and the fact that the goods are not fit for the purpose they were intended.

Thanks in advance !!

Top Bottom