1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia N-gage

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ebuyeruk, Sep 14, 2003.

1. ebuyeruk

ebuyeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of the nokia n-cage? is it any good and do you think it be better than the gba ?

ive seen it and it looks quite nice (design wise), however i dont know what kind of features and games (quality) will be like?

any one got and ideas

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    They have not been released yet.

http://www.n-gage.com/R1/en/home.html This is the homesite and will give you an idea of the games.

I doubt initially the format is worth buying unless you like burning money. The N-gage will retail for 299 dollars, that will likely equate to a £299 price mark over here.

Now 300 quid for a handheld gaming machine is a little extortionate in my view. Coupled with this there are problems with phone in terms of battery life..... expected gaming time 3-6 hours, knowing the battery lifes quoted for mobiles that means about 3 hours maximum. That doesn't include the time it is on standby or when people ring you, in which case expect a lot less.

I imagine you will have to carry around quite a few spare batteries when on a trip.

One other problem looks to be the screen, 176x208 compared to the GBAs 240x160. I think games will be really hurt by the narrow width as you tend to require more horizontal space than vertical space when gaming.

If you have a lot of money to spend and want to look flash then I would buy it, if you want a solid handheld games machine it has to be the GBA, at least to tide you over until SONY release the PSP, which looks to be very good.

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The sony PSP? whats this then? :confused:

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    There are many rumours about this flying around, i for one won't believe many or any of them until at least next summer, as it is predicted currently to have an Xmas 2004 release, which probably means summer 2005, which means PS3 will be released by then, and does anyone believe any of the silly rumours about PS3???

The PSP currently, according to rumours, with have bluetooth or wifi, for playing your mates, will also be a mobile phone, will be able to play downloaded content.

Basically all the N-Gage is with bells on. And it's a sony, so expect over-inflated prices.

The only thing i trust about it is this new UMD or universal media disc which is the propriety medium for the PSP. No doubt there will be a new Nintendo handheld by then as well, so i wouldn't read much into it for at least a year :)

5. ebuyeruk

ebuyeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just seen the review and pic/videos for tomb raider for the n-cage. And i must admit it looks very impressive. Fully 3D, i aint seen that on the GBA

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Good features for a phone/PDA software is cack, and the screen size is rubbish for games.

7. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    I have played quite a few games on the n-gage as i work for Nokia.

All i will say is that both Tony Hawks 3 and Tombraider are excellent and some of the other games are pretty nice so far considering it is still a new platform. It will also play java games.

Also realise that it is a phone as well with MMS, MP3 and quite a few other capabilties so it isn't just a gaming portable, expect it to be available via the normal mobile phone dealers at subsidised rates like other phones

It will probably only cost you £299 if you want to buy it without a contract, like most other phones

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I heard something quite strange about the n-gage too. The medium you use to load games / install games is such that there is a large question over just who owns the games after purchase.

Does the consumer actually "own" the game as with other consoles and computers? Don't you just download n-gage games or something?

I mean basically you're shelling out for a game and then not actually owning it seems a bit unfair.

Also will there be a magnifying glass type prepheral as per gameboy advance?

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    also "only" £300???

i could buy myself an mp3 player, gameboy advance and a mobile phone and still have money left over for a few gameboy advance games. Doesn't seem like a good price to me!

10. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300 PAYG I would expect about £100-£150 would look like a more likeable price on contract, which seems ALOT more reasonable.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I still think it is overated, I like my mobile phone to be small and I don't have to worry about losing it. I would not want to take the N-gage out on the beers with me.

I think the N-gage is dead in the water, I know a few people who will buy it as a gimmick, but I do not see it being a serious contender this time round, maybe if they release something a little smaller with a bigger screen. Folding stuff is the way forwards like the GBA SP, they should have made the N-Gage like that.

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The N-Gage is gonna flop like a freshly reeled in gamecube....

arf arf arf :)

13. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to mobile gaming ;)

14. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im hoping for their sake that the addition of e.a games to their list of game developers and the purchasing of sega technology means it wont be the damp squib everyone seems to be taking it for.

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's basically a brick that plays games and lets you call people.

The controls are hideous, the screen size and resolution are appauling, and there is a rehash of tomb raider 2 on it. That's the only stand-out game. Personally i don't see the point of hand held gaming. If i wanted to play on my snes i would. I don't need to play it on a tiny screen. I'd rather read a book :)

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    It is great for me when I go away on long trips. Plus you are missing out on some of the best games released in a long time, Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun..... all great great games.

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i played metroid on my snes many years ago. Yes it's a great game :)

I've played final fantasy to death. Bored of that series now. Advance wars looks good though!

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Have you played Tactics? It is not an RPG, it is a turn based strategy game, similar in kind to X-Com.

Metroid Fusion is a completely new game, not a rehash of an old classic.

The Castlevania games are awesome as well.

The GBA does have quite a few copies of the SNES classics, but it is also more powerful than the SNES and a lot of games are not simple ports.

Put it this way, I got FF:Tactics last Thursday, I have not touched my PC nor Gamecube since and have been playing GBA :)

19. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hear what you are saying. Although i have seen they are haveing an online community for the phone which you can access from the phone, allowing you to download stuff and compete against other users, etc... which i quite like the sound of from your mobile. And i have seen the size of it and its not too big a brick!

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    My mate never touches his gameboy advance sp, might buy it off him. As for the N-gage: played it in virgin today. It's officially a big steaming pile of tripe :)

Graphics look sublime, screen rubbish, controls awful, brick sized thing. Although a lot lighter than i imagined.

21. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    despite the graphics, is it not just a good thing to have upon your person if you are in need of some decent gameplay whilst travellin and withouht having to carry a gameboy aswell as a phone?

22. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    on some of the us gaming forums people were saying they went to try them out in stores and all the demo machines were broke, none would load up the games properly. Looks like there might be some serious reliabilty issues with them 'allegedly' ;)

23. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Yeah a few of the machine in Virgin oxford street would not load the games past the intro screen...

Still I may get one once the price hits £100 :) Tomb raider was alot of fun.. and for me played just like on my old Ps1

Matt

24. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a go on the n-gage and liked it, i think the price will drop before christmas and then might buy one
    be handy for the train to work ,game or radio will help pass the time:)

25. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ordered mine.. got it for £25 with a fre copy of TR on a very cheap T-mobile contract.. so after a year its still cheaper than buying it sim free :)

Matt

26. ebuyeruk

ebuyeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where from? and which contract?

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £229 in shops now PAYG or £50 on 02not bad about the size of a 3310 but strange controls. Wouldnt buy one myself but seems ok as a do all machine!

28. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    matt can you let us know how you get on with it as i am intrested
    thanks

29. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Here u go

www.mobileoutlet.co.uk on Tmobile Free Time 750

£13.99 a month 750 offpeak minutes to landlines and tmobile mobs

£25 for the ngage includes Tomb raider in the box

I should have mine tomorrow!.. (also you can use 256/512 MMC cards and ppl have got more than one game running on the same card ;) )

Matt

30. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fudge me! They are the best deals ive seen anywhere for it.