1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia HDW-2 Headset and Belkin F8T001 Bluetooth adapter with Skype

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by JayCee, Jul 31, 2005.

1. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can get these two items to communicate so I can use them for Skype on my PC?
    The Nokia headset does what it's supposed to do with my Nokia 6310 mobile.
    The Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter uses the V1.1 Bluetooth standard.......does this carry the audio headset profile?..........if it does I can't see it anywhere in my Bluetooth Neighbourhood.
    I am running a PC with WinXP Pro and SP1.........I would rather not fit SP2.
    Should I buy a USB Bluetooth adapter with V1.2?
    :lease:

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    I do not use the Belkin adapter, but in my opinion the bluetooth standard will not make a difference. Its more to do with the drivers which profiles are being made available. Don't know what you've got against SP2, I've been running for nearly a year just fine with it, and one of the best things was the much better support for Bluetooth.

After SP2 I was able to use all my devices (two mobiles phones, three headsets, one mouse and one other laptop) without any need for additional drivers and all the relevant profiles....

Anyway, when you right click on the bluetooth icon, select advanced configuration and then go to the local services tap, is the headset service listed? And if so double check the security settings so that you can configure it....

Please note that you really may need SP2 for this as standard XP support is very flakey...

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Is there anyone using a bluetooth headset sucessfully on a PC with WinXP Pro and SP1 only? :lease:

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Just to answer my own query..........yes, ME :clap:
    I'm just back from PC World where I bought the Belkin F8T008UK USB Bluetooth adapter which is Bluetooth V1.2.........luckily for me I had went to Belkins support site earlier and downloaded the software for it as the CDROM in the brand new unopened box is BLANK :( .......It has the Belkin label and is obviously kosher but must be from a faulty batch presumably.
    Anyway ran the setup and it detected and paired with my Nokia Phone, iPaq Pocket PC and Nokia HDW-2 Headset and I can now use the headset on Skype........and it's fantastic. :smashin:

BTW the F8T008UK has a 100m range.
    The F8T009UK has a 10m range and costs a fiver less.

Thanks for your reply and info.
    John.

5. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got the belkin F8T009uk (10m range) and the Nokia HDW-3. Both were bought just for skype, and I have no other bluetooth devices to try them with.

The Belkin installs fine, and autodetects the headset, though I have to double click to connect. Then I go to Control Panel Audio, and change the default audio device to bluetooth. Sure enough the speakers stop working. On the headset I get an ongoing beep-beep showing (I think) that it's connected but no signal.

I've done this many times :confused:

Any good ideas appreciated. Thanks, Mike E
    For what it's worth, I have win XP SP2, and Belkin advise using their drivers, not the OS ones.

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Hi, With my setup I right-click the bluetooth icon in the system tray which brings up a sub-menu........I then hover the mouse pointer over "Quick Connect"...a fly-out menu then gives more options and I select "Headset" and "Nokia HDW-2" a dialog box then appears saying "connecting" etc and the headset then announces by way of a few tones it is connected.
    If left alone it plays this tone continuously until I press and hold for a few seconds the button on the face of the headset (immediately below the led).

The way I switch the audio to Bluetooth is not through "Control Panel" but through "Tools", "Options", "Sound Devices" within Skype and that then gives me Bluetooth audio only through Skype, normal audio through my audio card for all other Windows events and progs.
    Have you "Paired" your Nokia headset with the Bluetooth on your PC?

7. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So that's a button! You're absolutely right, I used to get as far as the connection tone, but now get the audio fine.

Many thanks. :)

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Glad you got it in the end. :clap:

9. coos

coos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really sorry to crack this one open again since so many people have been kind enough to help others so far, but if anyone was in a position to help I'd really appreciate it!

I'm using an HDW-3 with F8T008 from Belkin. This is pretty much how it works:

With the Belkin doobery Dark blue bluetooth icon is in my System Tray. When I move my mouse over it, I get the text tip 'Bluetooth on USER-000000' where all the 0's is my computer name.

When I right-click it, I get 'Bluetooth device not found' .

When I double-click it, I get a pop-up saying that "no devices were found, check that it's all good" etc. When I press the power button on my headset I get a high beep. When I press the call button (under the L.E.D.) I get the same high beep, then I get a low beep.

When I pull the bluetooth dongle out and plug it in again (gotta love plug and play!) I get a new light blue bluetooth icon.

When I right-click it, I get the following options:

• Add a Bluetooth Device
    • Show Bluetooth Devices
    • Send a File
    • Receive a File
    • Join a Personal Area Network
    • Open Bluetooth Settings
    • Remove Bluetooth icon

When I double-click the icon I get a pop-up window with devices in it.

They are:
    1. '****' Passkey enabled (my Nokia 6680)
    2. 'Nokia Headset' passkey enabled

I used '0000' for the headset passkey as per Nokia's instructions, and when I try to search for new bluetooth devices, it states that the headset is already connected.

In control panel > audio devices my laptop can only find my default sound card :(

In Skype > Tools > Options > Sound Devices the options are Windows Default Device or my Soundcard.

As I said, I've read through and had a poke about, but I'm a bit lost. That said, I am sorry to have opened this up and asked a load of me-specific questions (I don't normally do that- it's annoying!) but as you can see I've gone into quite a bit of detial in the hopes that it will help someone else out in the process...

SO! Any clues?

Many many thanks in advance...

The Guy who's too cool for a stadard headphone and boom-mic setup ;)

10. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    I don't think you have the software installed fully as I get the same as you when I hover the mouse over the icon in the tray, but when I right-click it you should get the following options...

Explore my bluetooth places
    Bluetooth setup wizard
    Advanced configuration
    Quick connect
    Stop the bluetooth device

There should also be a nice bright blue led on the Belkin Adapter when it's plugged into the USB port.

11. coos

coos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayCee- woop woop woop!

You were in fact correct- a re-install did the trick.

I didn't have the dongle plugged in when I installed it, (as I find is the right thing to do with all things XP) but on this occaision it turns out that once it has installed it needed to be installed again!

I now have the sub menus you were talking about, I now have my HDW-3 headset assigned as a Quick Connect paired headset (as per your earlier post- see, I DO read them!) and I've just called myself to check it all works and it does!

The biggest joy is that using this headset is a HUUUUUGE imporvement on sound quality- NICE!

Finally, I went to http://www.nongeographicnumbers.com and got myself a FREE 0871 number (I got 5, in fact!) and have routed them to my 30 Euro Skype-In number.

Now, when my customers call me, I'll be earning 3.5p / minute on every call!

One final question just for fun:

I've got a 100m bluetooth dongle. Anyone know of any other bluetooth accessories that work over this distance yet? lol

Once again, thanks everyone for the help, directly or indirectly and Jay Cee- THANK YOU!

:clap:

12. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Glad to hear it. :smashin: