Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

nokia gaming, top or flop?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ramseyculdesac, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been hearing quite a bit about the new gaming phones being brought out by phone companies, particularly nokia. Just wondering if anyone thinks that online multiplyer gaming from your phone is going to hit off? I mean i hear they are enhancing old games such as splintercell and tony hawks with new features, and introducing their own new games. But will these pose any real threat to already exisiting mobilke gaming consoles?

2. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played on an N-Gage at a show a couple of monthes ago and have to say after looking forward to a bit of a play-test for a long time I was extremely dissapointed.

The screen is so tiny, the unit is ugly looking and the buttons feel nasty. We played a go-karting game via bluetooth with 2 machines that must have been no more than 6ft apart and it took around 15 minutes to start a game (no joke) but I suppose it is early yet. Sonic N was sooooo slow after playing Sonic Advance 2 all that weekend but it was quite impressive to see a fully 3D Tomb Raider on it even if it was really hard to control.

Bottom line is I can't see mobile phones having the capability to cross over with a decent game system for a while yet. The N-Gage is a great idea but Nokia just didn't manage to pull it off, especially not with the choice of handset that they made.

...anyway that's just my 2 cents :D

3. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so its something that will progress the technology and design of these gaming phones rather than be a success first time? Was there anything that you liked about it? Or have they got it totally wrong?

4. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see it taking a while before it becomes spectacular, i like the 'idea' of handheld online multiplayer but it just wasn't pulled off. In my opinion even fantastic games would be let down on this particular unit just as I thought the design was so bad. We didn't get to see what features it had as an ordinary phone though, might have been able to communicate with other planets or something, lol

5. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the changing of the game doesnt sound all that helpful. Why would you want to take your battery out every time? Seems to have a lot of buttons aswell. I mean i know it is primarily a phone, but surely they could of made the controls ssome kind of crossover between a phone dial and game controller?

6. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone out of interest go to a n-gage launch party in london? Saw on website, www.joystickjunkies.com about it. Wondered if anyone got their hands on one, or any of the girls which seemed to be there (look under editorials on the site, alright!!!)!!

7. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Mike Heel

Mike Heel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mobile games are terrible......i'd rather have a GBA SP

9. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what even though you can play the same quality games on just your phone and not have to carry a gayboy around with you too? Its gonna have all the same games as one, such as fifa,tony hawkes and splinter cell!Come on move with the times!

10. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fifa 2004 is out before end of year according to website!