Nokia & Freeview

rosemanbridge

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just moved house to the Worcester area. Freeview states that it is not available, but I have been told you can get it. The rooftop aerial reception is not good. There is a satellite dish already installed. My Q: I have looked on the net and seen the Nokia MediaMaster 210S. Can I just plug this into the dish and get Freeview? Or do I need to get the aerial revamped and fit something like the Nokia MM 221T? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by rosemanbridge
I have just moved house to the Worcester area. Freeview states that it is not available, but I have been told you can get it.
Yes I can (who told you?) but I'm not In the Worcester area. ;)

The rooftop aerial reception is not good. There is a satellite dish already installed. My Q: I have looked on the net and seen the Nokia MediaMaster 210S. Can I just plug this into the dish and get Freeview? Or do I need to get the aerial revamped and fit something like the Nokia MM 221T? Thanks in advance.
Freeview is the set of digital terrestrial programmes and requires a terrestrial aerial and Freeview receiver. You can check your coverage by typing your postcode into this page: http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

If it says "YES, xxx channels available"
Click on "more details" to see which programmes you might get with a 12dB aerial. If it says ALL then a fairly ordinary aerial should do (with double-shielded coax cable and no joints). If it says SOME then you might get ALL by fitting a higher gain aerial.

If it says NO channels available, you might still get some or all. Check with your neighbours to see if they can. If so, copy their system.

You can get some Free To View (FTV) programmes with a Sky Digital system and a viewing card. (You don't need a card for BBC programmes).

As to whether your dish and LNB are the right type and aligned on the correct satellite cluster.... can't guess.

Fman

Thanks for that. I plugged it in and can get all the channels from the Worcester Transmitter. Nothing from the Bromsgrove transmitter for the other channels. Will increasing the "gain" fix this and how do I do that?

Where in Worcester - I live in Wardon Villages and I get all 6 muxes.

Serious advice

Use C.A.S. or W.A.S. to fit,

North & East get a big wide band on Sutton and also another on Bromsgrove but keep seperate on downleads.

West & South Malvern is pretty good, you can also get Ridge Hill on some areas.

Do not use any RF devices as there are no free RF channels available (all are used 21-68)

Martin,

I live near Ombersley.

I take it CAS and WAS are local companies?? Do you have their details please?

What is an RF device?

Sorry it's an SFQ, but I'm new to Digital TV!

Thanks.

Ombersley - good view of all 4 transmitters!!!!!!

Sutton, Malvern of Bromsgrove should do fine, best signal is off Sutton but liable to Emley Moor analogue wiping it out in funny weather

CAS Systems 36 Astwood Road 01905 726347
Worc. Aerial Services, near cathedral 01905 20751

These are the only companies I would trust for DTTV in Worcester WHO I KNOW

I phoned the lot 4 years ago and these were the only ones at the time who dealt with DTTV.

I had DTTV where Ondigital aerial contractors failed.

Try the different sites and see what is recommended for which TX but recent power improvements and 16QAM make the smaller TX more usefull.

I hope the shortlist is helpful because I kept getting "you need Sky"

CAS did mine!

CAS came round yesterday and installed a new wideband aerial tuned to Malvern, perfect picture all channels, they also ran another line to the bedroom for terrestrial channels until I pick up another Freeview box. £105.30 inc VAT. Thanks for the recommendation.

Did you say they were recommended?

I wonder if they remembered my install!!

I have just taped a movie. When I played it back on tape the picture stuck in the first set of adverts and taped the same frame for 1 1/2 hours, the sound carried on as normal. Is this a problem with Freeview or with the Nokia box?? To say I'm narked is an understatement!

Can anyone answer my question above? I need to know if it's an install problem or a faulty Freeview box.

That sounds like it's a box problem.

Box

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom